Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Parking brake anyone? (Read 1374 times)
Nov 7th, 2016 at 1:28pm

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Hey all,
I'm getting ready to do my brakes/rotors, etc on my 69.

My parking brake has never worked since I've owned her.
I'm thinking now is the time!

Does anyone have any idea of the effort here?
Keep in mind the rotors an all are coming off so I'm looking for how much added effort at this point?

Hopefully it is pretty straight forward! LOL!
A stainless rebuild kit minus the shoes is only 35 bucks so I'm thinking why not!!

My P-brake arm works, P-brake light works, cable is in place but not hooked up to the wire to each wheel. I assume the P-brakes are rusted up and thus are in need of a rebuild.

All thoughts are welcome!
Scott 

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 11:08pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

definitely go with the stainless kit you won't be sorry and replace the parking brake cable while your at it at least the rear cable that runs to the wheels it'll make things operate much smoother my '77 had the stainless kit and it worked fairly well would hold the car on a driveway grade with a 2 degree pitch and in gear as long as you didn't step on the throttle. it's not easy as the face plate gets in the way but you have to work around it and through the access holes good luck!
...................Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 2:25am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It's not to hard of a job if you are sorta familiar with drum breaks. The mechanism  for the parking breaks is very similar.  If you cut little groves in the parking break pads about 3/4" of an inch spacing they will hold better. You'll end up with 3 or 4 groves.  I switched over to a no lever system years ago & it still works very well. I did it because the TKO-600 is longer & was too close to the parking break cable for me. If that cable ever got caught in that 1350 splicer ujoint on the front of the drive shaft it would be a disaster. Remember to mark your back rotors & put them on in the same place & check for run out if you change them.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 6:54am

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Good info and thanks Chris!
I will buy the stainless kit. Makes perfect sense!

Alan, yes I am replacing the rotors too.
I have ordered StopTech slotted and cryo treated rotors and a full set of street performance pads. I also am looking to swap the brake lines with steal braided stuff.

I'm currently looking at and considering a roll stop device.Not a necessity by any means but it looks good on the fun factor! Might save my brakes some too!

I did find a video on youtube describing the rebuilt process of C3 parking brake and it looks to be a bit fiddly but not that hard. So that is on the list too.

Packages coming! Smiley

Thanks for the input!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 6:59pm

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Still waiting for the rotors and pads.

Full ss parking brake kit, stainless braided brake lines are on their way.
Almost 15 years of care taking my baby and never once have I had a parking brake!

SHARKY gets full on brake job for Christmas!
She might even get a rebuilt tilt tele steering column. I picked up a spare 2 years ago with intent of getting it perfect!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 3:26am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Hope the job goes well Smiley
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 6:38am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I think you will really like those cyro rotors. I've been using them on my vehicles for yrs now & they just don't ware out plus you can use really good pads that make the breaking far superior to stock rotors & pads. To bad we weren't closer I'd enjoy sipping on a beer & watching you work Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 6:46am

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

LOL!
Ditto! I'd buy that beer!

Yeah, if they show that much improvement, then my F150 will get them also!
I think it has a warped rotor. At high speeds if I brake firm you can feel the pulsing. Not so much at low speeds or soft braking. The pulsing is not the antilock brake system. I know how that feels.

We drag a travel trailer a lot over the mountains and I've since learned the Current F150's have fairly week rotors from the factory!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 7:40am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You will definitely notice a difference on you truck especially when you pull a trailer. I switched over my car trailer to disc breaks from the stock drum breaks. It wasn't the easiest conversion but well worth all the effort..now the trailer stops the Avalanche. The drum breaks on the trailer were not working very good about a yr ago & on a 600 mile trip tore up the stock breaks on the AVA so I installed new CYRO & pads...big difference.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 12:49pm

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Cool, I look forward to the changes!
I really hope the 69 brakes smoother!

She is not bad but she certainly has room for improvement!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 7:20am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

The break line that goes across the front is a hard one to replace you might want to wait until you pull the engine to replace it. I did that one when I had the engine out. All  the others can be done with a little cussing on the side. Roll Eyes If you don't have a power bleeder get one it'll save you a lot of frustration & you won't need any help.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.