Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

leaf spring (Read 1900 times)
Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:47am

Marks1977   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

1st question...1977...how do I know if leaf spring needs replaced?  Alignment shop wants to do this and I dont want to get ripped off Angry

2nd. front of car sits goofy..driver side fender is 1 inch higher than passenger...all looks straight underneath Huh

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:04am

Marks1977   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Let me clarify...right side of car measures 1 inch lower than left to fender above tire ..front and rear, so car is lopsided..has new shocks and strut rods Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 11:52am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

By turning the nut  on the end of the leaf spring in or out you can adjust the height of the rear & get it even & it doesn't take much. If the leaf spring is straight or slightly bowed up it's probably good. Remember all the leaf spring does is hold the rear up...the shocks keep it from bouncing.  I would look for another alignment shop.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 1:58pm

Marks1977   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Thankyou Alan...the bolt and rubbers look original and worn/dry rotted Smiley...I am going to replace them also

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 1:58pm

Marks1977   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

OR..which nut are you refering to??? Huh

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 3:56am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

The long bolt that attaches to the leaf spring on either side. On the bottom is a nut & a cotter key. This is the nut you turn to adjust for even height & it doesn't take much.  Make sure you have around 150lbs or so  in the drivers seat when you make the adjustment. I would replace all the rotten rubber first. You can go with rubber or poly. Poly will last forever but you should use a little white grease between the poly & metal,it'll reduce squeaking sounds.  If you replace the leaf spring with a fiberglass leaf spring longer bolts will be needed on the ends.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 2:19pm

Marks1977   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

ah ha,,,would have never thought about weight in drivers seat

that should level the front a little also ????? Shocked

Told you I would have questions.. Grin

leaf spring is good according to the bow of it...so just the bolts and cushions for now I will change. actually I will just order new cushions if bolts are good Cool

Thankyou sir

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:22pm

jeffwhite73   Offline
Battle Ground, WA

Alan, I'll have to take a pic this weekend and post it, but my car has been lowered.  My question is how to keep its current stance and not have the rear leaf spring bolts lower than the wheel!!!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 2:29pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

jeffwhite73 wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
Alan, I'll have to take a pic this weekend and post it, but my car has been lowered.  My question is how to keep its current stance and not have the rear leaf spring bolts lower than the wheel!!! 

Kind of impossible,The longer bolt is giving you the lower stance. The drawback is the bolt being lower than the wheel. Pray for no flat..........jack

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 2:54pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Jack is correct, I think I have a 8" bolt in my 68 & it's pretty close to the rim. There are after market suspensions that are adjustable, but pricey.  I have the adjustable fiberglass leaf springs on the 68 & 73.  The 68 is adjustable ftr & rear for soft corning to hard (4 adjustments). You can really get deep into this if you want.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 7:52am

jeffwhite73   Offline
Battle Ground, WA

Ok, gotcha.  Thanks for the input.  I'll need to figure something out!  And I forgot to take a pic!

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 1:39pm

jeffwhite73   Offline
Battle Ground, WA

Just so I am clear, I like the way my car sits now, but the rear suspension bolts are very low.  If I buy and install shorter bolts, it lifts the rear of the car up, correct?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Yes you are correct, anything longer than a 8" bolt will probably be lower than the tire rim so if you get a flat ..gook luck. You can go to a composite rear spring ...I would suggest VBP. Give then a call & they will hook you up with the correct one if you go that route.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.