Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

77corvette front control arm bushing placement (Read 1002 times)
May 23rd, 2017 at 4:29am

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

hi guys......

As always thanks again for all your help everyone.
I am in the middle of replacing my control arm bushings on my 1977 Corvette front control arms but I noticed that some bushing shells and cushings are larger (longer) & the other ones are shorter , I believe there is a order how the bushings go on the control arms. Being that I removed some of the bushings i did not notice how they go back on, can somebody please help.
I do not know the sequence upper or lower or front facing or rear facing. Thanks again for everyones help

p.s. I have the assembly manual for the car but it does not show me the bushings themselves maybe someone has an article,pictures, or diagram of some sort. also the shells are shaped differently

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017 at 4:32am

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

Finally I had pressed the small ones on to the control arms being that I have two sets of poly bushings for all the arms I can put all the small ones on all the arms but I'm not sure if that would make a difference or there will be an issue with that thanks guys.

P.p.s. This is my first question on this forum but probaly many more to come  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:32am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Don't have it on the lift, but this is the upper driver side & both bushings are the same. This is the 77
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:53am

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

This is the bushing being installed the originals are the same. When i took them out they got mixed up amd now im lost (didnt take notice)

IMG_0538.PNG (78 KB | 61 )
IMG_0538.PNG
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:22pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I'll see if I can measure them tomorrow & will try to measure the bottoms if it doesn't rain
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2017 at 1:47pm

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

No prob tanxxx

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2017 at 8:19am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Looks like the longer ones are on the bottom. You can confirm this by fabing up a bottom & seeing if everything matches up. After looking at my 77 I'm gonna change the bushings & upper & lower ball joints. The rubber is rotten on the bushings & I'm sure the ball joints are worn. I'll order a kit of poly from Rik's.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2017 at 8:38am

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

Thats exactly what im doing rite now but im putting on red polys on (black & red theme vette)

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2017 at 8:39am

Hardmansonfan   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
New jersey

Thanks for your help i appreciate it. Let me know how yours go

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2017 at 2:15pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I started tearing the frt suspension apart & should have it all off tomorrow. Ordered the deluxe kit from Rik's (329.00).  Just didn't feel comfortable driving a car with 41 yr old parts. Even if I sell the car it should make for a better deal for someone.
Alan Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2017 at 2:21pm by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.