Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Smoking . . . anyone? (Read 255 times)
Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:34am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

OK, I've officially taking up smoking!

For fathers day my beautiful bride bought me a Traeger wood pellet smoker!
Fortunately for me it arrived a couple of days early and she could not move it so I was for warned! LOL!

With the knowledge I had of a new smoker and zero experience I set about shopping! 20 lbs of mesquite pellets and 11.4 lbs of brisket I was ready! Yes we bought a couple of other pellets like maple and apple woods.

Friday had me sneaking of from work early so I could get home and spice the brisket and get it sitting for 12 hours!

Saturday at 3:45am my alarm went of! Oh man. Brisket out and sitting while the smoker was coming up to temperature. Set to smoke, insert meat and back to bed for 4 hours!
Alarm goes off again! 8:00 AM. Set the smoker to the recommended 250 degrees! Back to bed. This time I could not sleep. An hour later I went out to check the smoker. New toy and all! LOL! Glad I did because the fire went out. Got her running again and went back inside.

10:00 and I'm out looking again. Fire went out. WTF? Got her going but this time the internet and I are getting to know each other. It did not take long to find the cap on the smoke pipe is to low. Guess it needs 1.5-2.0 inches minimum height to allow proper air flow. I had it to low. Hmm, easy fix and we are smoking again! That resolved the issue so I spent the rest of Saturday sitting on the deck baby sitting the smoker and reading my book. Jack Reacher this time!

Finally the brisket was 160 degrees and per the instructions I pulled it, wrapped it tightly in aluminum, foil, and put it back in.

Hours later the brisket was 203 degrees so per the instructions I wrapped it with towels and put it in a cooler to sit for 2 more hours! OH man was it smelling good!

After taste testing 2 BBQ sauce that my wife made vs 2 store bought we all grabbed our favorites and waited.

The smoke ring was perfect! The taste? Wonderful! AS far as how done it was. That is in question.Online the perfect brisket slice can be hung over your finger and not come apart. Yet you can still pull it apart easily. Well, ours was not shredded beef however if hung long enough over your finger, it would very slowly pull itself into two pieces!

OMG was it good though! I've read we can vacuum pack left overs and have a great meal later too. That will be some meals on Destiny this year! I hope it works as well as the cooking did!

Next weekend? Baby back ribs!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 10:36am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I purchased an electric smoker last yr & love it. It even has bluetooth to my phone for meat temps & oven temp settings. Also bought a pellet smoker tray that burn 12-16 hrs along with 40 lbs of pellet wood smoke. So far I've cooked brisket,chicken,ribs & pork butt. & will try some veggies this summer Cool. The only thing I didn't like was cleaning the grills...now I just put them in the weber & they come out   white power & perfect. Here's a pic of the last chickens & 2 pork butts (pulled pork)
https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Amazen-Pellet-Pitmasters-Pellets/dp/B00LLIQRZW/ref...

Alan Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:39am by 68-73-77 »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 11:57am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 4:24pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

You guys are making me hungry!

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.