Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Got a question (Read 69 times)
Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:47pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

On my 73 left headlight it is converted to electric motors. Works the same a vac except it uses the old trams am headlight system. The light assy goes up but stays locked in the up position unless I pull down slightly from the underneath of headlight assy.  This is when it's unhooked from the motor and when hooked up it still won't go down.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:26am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Alan
I'll throw some guesses out there. If there is enough wire swap the left connector with the right,and see what happens.If that works I would say one side of the headlamp control module is bad. If not try running 12v to the motor and see what happens if that still no, I would suspect a bad spot on the commutator.
   I mounted the module to the front left side of the fender skirt. They are by now probably getting hard to find if you need one. They work on current sensing, so you know how long that will last.  I haven't been following it much but the last I heard they are using the ford focus motors. They claim to be more robust then the GM............jack   
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:28am by Artsvettes »  

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:53am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Don't think I explained this properly..The motors work fine & are new. The assy will not go down manually or with the motor hooked up unless I pull down on a sensor that is between the 2 large springs. It's like it's locked up & won't release. The motor pulled so hard it actually cracked the bracket that holds the motor & I had to tig weld the alum bracket back together. Didn't notice it until I went to open the hood & it was hitting the broken bracket so had to take it off from underneath...thank god for lifts Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:57am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Wow that took a lot of force to crack that bracket. I wonder if the arm that is attached to the motor got messed up, putting the linkage out of sinc. Those brackets were a pain to make.......jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:14am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Yeah the new motors work great  and have lot of tq.
It goes up fine but you can not pull it down. Instead of taking the whole assy out I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a cheap assy I can buy. If I could see it I'm sure I could figure out what wrong. Could be as simple as a bushing gone bad. Not really worried because I never drive it at night & if I ever got caught at nite I can raise it by hand. If you ever get down my way stop in & drive it ..you won't believe  how powerful it has become. It'll smoke the tires in 3rd gear & that's with those wide 17" tires.
Alan. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:50pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Thanks for the offer Alan, but I don't drive far anymore. Eyes aint what they use to be. Gettin old sucks.........jack

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.