Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

on the first day of Christmas (Read 72 times)
Dec 12th, 2017 at 2:27am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me............2 teens a driving! and, they both got their learner's permits last month, Ethan (18, was in no hurry to get his) Allison (16, could hardly wait) so, they've been driving for a month, Ethan a little longer and he is very cautious and attentive behind the wheel, Alli, I've got to keep the reigns on a bit (her Mother's lead foot) anyway, when it was snowing on Saturday Ethan asked if he could drive to his friend's house and seeing how the roads weren't yet covered (and not wanting to discourage his confidence any) I agreed and away we went, he did great, was very aware of the changing conditions and was getting a feel for just how different wet, icy roads can be. the trip went flawlessly until he turned into his friend's development, we hit a patch of black ice and the car (my Impala) skidded (about 8 mph) head first into a curb.... he was so upset and kept beating himself up a few expletives ect ect I assured him the car could be fixed and asked if he was okay he said he didn't want to finish driving to his friend's house but, I said well, you're strapped in and I'm not moving so, please continue on (that old adage about falling out of the saddle....) and so, he did when we arrived I got out and looked the Bumper was cracked and the right fog light was popped out (it popped back in) and the Bumper was cracked and pulled away from the right fender, other than that, the car survived. I cleaned it up and patched it up with "Gorilla Tape" and, ordered a new Bumper cover and lower air dam/splash shield so, it's a small relatively inexpensive repair and I think the lesson he learned was something I could never explain to him. oh well, we all go through the stages!
.................Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 10:28am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Chris
You can bet he learned something, he will carry with him every time he gets behind the wheel. I still remember my first as though it was yesterday..............jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 2:54pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Great learning experience, but I'm sure glad that stuff is over for me...I'm sure that's when I went gray.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:03am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Black Ice is dangerous stuff. All that damage only going 8 mph?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:25pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Jack,
there's not much down there structure wise, the lower fascia and lower valance (both plastic) the fog light which is also plastic all the impact absorbing things are higher behind the bumper cover--it's not a big deal I can get all the parts for less than 300.00 and I'm going to do it in the spring--kids will have more experience by then, just part of parenting........
...............Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.