Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 2764 times)
Reply #105 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:47pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

No hurry Scott... long winter ahead. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #106 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 10:00am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

No hurries but we are still moving forward!  Wink
Last night we spun her around in the garage so I can now get to the drivers side!

Ha! My Pachinko machines on the wall! I have a third in the shed. It is from the 50's. I have not started restoration on it. My dad wants it to restore, so when he moves back to Washington it is his!

Final spot for now!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #107 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 7:01am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Friday I was home from work so out to the garage!
the gas pedal wiring had a large plug on it. I was preparing to drill a hole in my firewall large enough for the plu and could not find my stepped drill bits. Glad I did not find them. I sat on a stool and studied the plug! Hey it comes apart! So I simply completely disassembled the plug, slid it through an existing hole in the fire wall, and re assembled it! Nice!

so the gas pedal is in! Looks a little odd but works perfect and does not hit the carpet!
I took photos so folks can see it can be done!

Scott

Before disassembling take a good photo of the wires, colors, and positions!

Here it is all disassembled!

Wires pulled through the firewall!

Start reassembling the plug!

Other side of plug notice the little brass connectors and their orientation!

All wires back in almost back together!

IP Logged

Reply #108 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 7:02am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Well dang.
Sunday was to start my car but she decided no. First thing was power steering fluid all over the floor. Hmm.
Found the loose connector and snugged it up. Checked the one next to it at the rack and pinion and snugged it a bit only to spin the 90 elbow pinching the hose on the frame and pop! Out came the AN6 fitting! Doh.

Next getting the oil primer plug out was impossible for me so I called a neighbor who graciously came over. He brought 8mm Allen wrench socket and extensions. With much effort we finally got the plug out! We primed the oil easy enough!

Now is the time! Video on! Turn the key! Nothing.
Well, there is no ignition at the starter. By then it was dinner time so all efforts stopped for the day.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #109 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 3:34pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Always snags in a project like yours. Looking good though!

IP Logged

Reply #110 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 8:56am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Whew! A hurricane of busy! However Sunday I was able to play with Sharky a bit.
Confirmed no power to the exciter wire. Thus no start. So, in good fashion I simply jumped the wire! YEAH! Oh wait, nothing. Dang it

So, last night I cleaned up all the fluids on the floor and got on my creeper and under the car I went. I unplugged the exciter wire. It is one of GMs weather protected plugs.
It seems that when I plugged it in I bent the pin over! What the heck. Seems a crappy design. I prefer the old bolt and nut version! Either way, I bench tested the starter and it is in fact just fine. So back under the car and reinstall the thing, CONFIRM the plug was still in, hook up main power, etc. Oh man my arms are sore from holding that dang thing.

I very carefully confirmed the computer was NOT keyed up and jumped the starter! AH!
My baby turned over just fine! All I need to do now is find out why I have no 12v at the exciter wire with the key turned on. That is for tonight's entertainment.

I do need to fix a power steering line but other than those two issues I should be able to attempt  a start.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #111 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 6:18pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Your having way too much fun Scott!!!

IP Logged

Reply #112 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 1:04pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yes sir Jack!
This type of stuff I can find and fix.

I have the steering column lowered so I can access the ignition switch on the back of it. Tonight I should be able to figure out if it is getting power or if maybe the switch is bad. I won't have a lot of time tonight but I do have tomorrow off to play with it!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #113 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 5:35pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Ok! Good news and bad. I confirmed the ignition switch is bad.
So, I simply ordered another. Still waiting.
However these cars are easy to Hotwire! So, on December 13 I hotwired my baby with My bride recording . . . After a few seconds of spinning she fired right up! Whoooooo hoooo! After 40 seconds or so, I shut her down! Adrenalin flowing hard! Big grin and feeling good until my bride says what’s that under the car? Whu? Under car was all my inti freeze. I have yet to figure out why.   So after Christmas, the trouble shooting begins.

Progress but as usual with my project another step backwards! Doh!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #114 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 5:52am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Sounds about right with these C3's. One step forward, two backwards... I remember that 10 year with yellowjacket.

IP Logged

Reply #115 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:53am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

OK,
I've been neglecting posting here mainly because my ipad does not like these pages and fights with me. I generally update here from work! Today I am at work so here is an update!

At last post I had started my baby but dumped fluids everywhere! I do not even remember why but I thought antifreeze!. Nope a combination of power steering and engine oils! Being stumped as to why the oil dumped I was at a stand still.

<<<RW> I was trying to sell the original oil tank and breather. There was a fellow very low balling me on the price. Periodically pinging me if I had decided to take his offer. HMM <back to current> IF this guy wants it so bad, and knows the value I bet he is an LS7 expert of some sort. So I made a deal to accept his offer but only if he could come by and give advice on my setup. Yes, I did due diligence . . . .

Well, just before Christmas he arrived with a heavily built 2006 Z06. Race seats, rollbar, quick release steering, etc etc etc. SWEET car! It was clearly cammed and sounded awesome! Long story short, he knew his stuff and showed I had over filled the oil and it simply spewed out the breather. Power steering is simply a leak.

With confidence restored, I went back to work on my baby. Fixed the starting issue, new ignition switch, buttoned up the dash, and have her to the point of turn the ket and she starts every time! Turn the key the other way and she stops! Nice! I started cleaning up the interior and re installing the console ( not complete yet ), and started buttoning up the under hood!

A neighbor came over and helped install the hood.
Doh! the pretty aluminum radiator cap, yeah, no fit. I had to go buy a stock 6 dollar radiator cap! It fits great!

I finally decided to cut up the fuel rail covers and put them on!

So here she is today!

I need to get my dads C5 running which should not be an issue and move it so I can get mine  ride out of the garage. Once in the driveway I can check the brakes and gears and even the steering somewhat. IF all is well I can schedule time at the muffler shop for the side pipes.

Unfortunately just before new years my bride and I came down with colds. So Sharky sits. I had rolled the Harley out so I could work on my vette and the cold set in. My poor Harley has set outside now for almost 2 weeks. Hopefully tonight I can get her back in the garage.

Today is my first day back to work and man I am already tired!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #116 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:39am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Gotta admire a man that never quits Cool Sounds like you are in for a fun ride soon..get vwell. 
Between taking care of my BIL & the excessive rain we've had last year I don't think I took my 68 out more than 2 times last year. Started it up in the garage this morning with the extension hose going out under the door ...revved it once & blew the hoses off Cheesy
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #117 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:30pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

You was off work for two weeks with a cold??? Shocked
That must have been a bad one. I had mine last year.

IP Logged

Reply #118 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 7:07am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Actually I was out of work on vacation burning extra vaca days. You know use it or lose it where I work. First day off was the 13 Dec thus working on my car. We went to Wenatchee to visit my mom and one of my cousins came to visit also! She brought her kids and they were all sick! Doh! I only missed 3 days because of sickness. Oh well! Great to see everyone but man, they are little petri dishes! LOL!

So the recovery begins! Got my Harley back in the garage last night which is good!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #119 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 6:38am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Big day yesterday!
When I got home last night, I moved the C5, the C6, and the Harley. Then I moved all the crap that built up behind my C3 in the garage. I jacked her up and took her off the car dollies.

I fired her up and backed her out of the garage on her on power!! WHOO HOO! SHE LIVES!
I used that 427 ci to turn her around and back her back into the garage!

I still have a power steering leak so I will try and fix that over the weekend.
Next step is to get her to an exhaust shop! Need to get the pipes modified slightly and have the 02 sensor bungs welded in!

heh heh! Looks like I might make the spring season for cruisins!

FYI I have a 1 minute video of backing her out of the garage. I'll see if I can get it posted somewhere and link here!

Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.