Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 3934 times)
Reply #135 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 12:36am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Just in time for Spring weather too! It hit 74 sunny here in Tacoma today. Wore a T shirt... whoo hoo

SPRING IS HERE!!! SPRING IS HERE!!! SPRING IS HERE!!!

IP Logged

Reply #136 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 4:56am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Sounds like you are nearing the finish line Cool
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #137 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:36am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Spring sure does feel like it is here! Beautiful day yesterday, today is looking great and even tomorrow is scheduled to be fantastic!

The snow is a long ago memory now!

Yes Alan,
All my major tasks seem to be complete and it is a matter of dialing her in the way I like her now.

It almost doesn't seem real because she has been down so long! LOL!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #138 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 6:49am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Drove my baby to work today and man does it feel good to be rolling again!
I had to manually push up and then later lower the headlights as I have not hooked up the vacuum yet but otherwise what a great drive to work! I'll drop the top for the ride home later!

Cheesy

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #139 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 5:36pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I bet that felt good!!!

IP Logged

Reply #140 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 7:15am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yes sir! LOL! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #141 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 10:36am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I don't think I asked this but did you check the code on your axle? Because if it's a 350 car it won't hold up with that new engine. Also did you upgrade your ujoints & driveshat ujoints?
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #142 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:56am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

The previous owner raced the car and already beefed everything up. When I had the drive shaft shortened, I had them put spicer ujoints in and told them the car would be pushing North of 500 hp and to make sure it would support the new power. The shop was very promising saying No problem with what I have.

I did not change the ujoints on the half shafts because they felt good and I know the previous owner had beefed things up. Remember MonkeyWrench? He had to help me identify things a long time ago because of changes and he is the one who told me things had been upgraded. Also PO added 3.73 gears.

I think I am OK but who knows! LOL!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #143 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:29am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

69Shark wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:56am:
I think I am OK
but who knows!
LOL!

Scott

Famous last words Scott! LOL
I recall riding with Alan in his Blue Monster when he thought his was "OK", stomped on it and wow, found out the hard way it needed more beefing. Good thing he already had the safety stuff on there.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:31am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #144 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 8:06am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I think you will be fine unless you go to a 17" tire. I just don't get on it off the line anymore ..not worth the problems it can cause.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #145 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 7:57am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yesterday was a good day!
I took my 69 out for a drive after final adjustments on the pullys.

Once around the big block which is about 4-5 miles.
Diane was ready for a "Come help call" LOL!

She sat at 198 degrees and I checked the belt when I got home. No movement! She held her belt fine!

Second run around the big block, Diane came with me! She could hold the iPad and watch the speed and RPM for me. We briefly got up to 60 MPH and she was at 1750 RPM! YES!

At a light, a feller in a big diesel Dodge truck had pole position with me. He clearly was egging me to run with him. I did not. Light changed, he launched and I pressed the accelerator. Remember my bride was with me. He was instantly a truck length ahead and I continued to ease into the throttle. By 3/4 pedal I was a length ahead of him with a lot left. I wasn't even shifting. Just letting the new tranny do its job! I let out of it and he roared by with a huge grin on his face! Those trucks are LOUD!

My baby was very quick! I have no doubt had I decided to let my vette loose I'd be sporting a black eye from my bride and the truck feller would not be grinning so much! LOL!

So far so good!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #146 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:58am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I know the feeling seems like everyone wants to challenge the 68 & 73 but hardly ever the 67 Dodge Wink. I have diffently mellowed over the years & rarely take anyone up on the off the line thing. Sometimes if I can take to them I ask what they have under the hood  if they have less than 500 hp I tell them it's not worth the gas & that usually pisses them off.
Alan Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:59am by 68-73-77 »  
IP Logged

Reply #147 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 7:36am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

68-73-77 wrote on Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:58am:
it's not worth the gas
Alan Smiley

Grin

I love it!

IP Logged

Reply #148 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:18am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

OK,

After a week or two I was periodically peeling a rib off the serpentine belt! WTF?? Seemed unpredictable. What I learned was amazing!
Did you know there are cheap serpentine belts and expensive ones? If you have a pulley even very slightly miss aligned the cheap belts can SQUEEEEEEEAL loudly! OMG!
Then they get shredded it is almost like they know they are at end of life! LOL! The expensive ones . . . .die slower and generally quieter!

NOTE: if you have a bad squeal from your serpentine system, take a squirt bottle with water and lightly squirt the ribbed side of the belt at each pulley. If the squeal goes away then comes right back you likely have a misaligned pulley and not bad bearings. Sometimes you can even isolate where the misalignment is by the noise!

Yesterday I think I finally resolved the issue. Starting at the crank pulley on the driver side, I have the crank pulley, an idler pulley, the power steering pump pulley, and the alternator pulley all on the driver side.
With a straight edge I could not get a straight line on all the pulleys because the idler pulley with no grooves was in the way. I had to remove it. Once out of the way, the other three pulleys were in clear view.
I immediately noticed the crank pulley had a wider lip than the other two and for me to hold a straight edge on the crank pulley would actually miss align the others! AH the lights come on in my head! I had to carefully hold the end of the straight edge next to the crank pulley but not on it. Instead hold it to the approximate thickness of the edges of the other two pulleys ( pump and alternator ) OMG! it was immediately obvious somebody was out of alignment!

After a bit of staring and studying, it was clear the power steering pump needed to be pressed in something like an eighth or sixteenth of an inch in! Using a special tool, it was easy access and easy to press in. I did it very slowly and checked every 1/2 turn until the straight edge aligned perfectly on all three pulleys! I then reinstalled the idler pulley and belt. I ran the motor for a bit at various RPMS and the belt stayed in place perfectly! SOOOooo, up the freeway I went for about 5 miles at freeway speeds and then took back roads home. The belt stayed perfectly in place with no squealing or pealing off a rib!!!!

What a relieve! I now feel confident I can drive her to an alignment shop!

Hope this helps the next guy!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #149 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:14am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Great explanation ...yes I know there are cheap & good belts...you pay for what you get usually. Last yr I had a very small pin hole leak in the upper radiator hose on the 73. After a 90 or so mile cruise the serpentine belt came off & I couldn't figure out why. Just enough anti freeze came out to cause the belt to become slippery & come off. The anti freeze that came out was so little that it disappeared almost immediately. I couldn't see the leak but my SIL who has eagle eye saw it.  These cars can be a challenge at times. Glad you finally solved this problem. Tongue
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.