Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 4602 times)
Reply #150 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:31am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

68-73 wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 4:14am:
These cars can be a challenge at times.  Tongue
Alan Smiley

Yes sir and that issue was driving me nuts! Several times I thought "FIXED" only to drive a little further than the last run and lose the belt again!

I drove her in today with the vinyl hard top , spare belt, a socket, and a breaker bar! LOL!

This is her third run since the last fix described above and so far so good!

One of these days I'll be a knowledgeable back yard mechanic! LOL!
Scott 

IP Logged

Reply #151 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 5:22pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73 wrote on Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:58am:
I know the feeling seems like everyone wants to challenge the 68 & 73 but hardly ever the 67 Dodge Wink. I have diffently mellowed over the years & rarely take anyone up on the off the line thing. Sometimes if I can take to them I ask what they have under the hood  if they have less than 500 hp I tell them it's not worth the gas & that usually pisses them off.
Alan Smiley

Are you "packing" when you say that?  Grin

When I had yellowjacket, I rarely got challenged. Probably because she looked and sounded nastier (hooker sidepipes) than she really was.

69Shark wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:18am:
Hope this helps the next guy!
Scott

All these posts in your thread will help a lot of people and you taking the time to post them, even jokes, is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2019 at 5:26pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #152 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:26am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

OK,
Next issue.

She refuse to warm start. Example, I jump in, fire her up and she starts immediately!
She drives with no issues. I go to a gas station. Stop and fuel her up. She wont start.
I wait thirty minutes and she starts without hesitation and runs great!

Warm Start:
1)She cranks very strong.
2)Fuel pressure 57.9
3)Air intake temp 120 degrees
4)Coolant temp 198 degrees
5)Can hear relays coming on with key on.
6)Fuel pump comes on if not already pressurized
7)Tack reads RPM when cranking

Note values are pulled via OBD blue tooth dongle and iPhone

Cold start:
1) Turn key and go! LOL!

I have already replaced the battery to one equivalent or better than a 2013 Z06 Cold cranking amps from Interstate battery.

I have used MAF cleaner to clean the sensor.

I have gone into the house grabbed some wine and sat in frustration . . . . LOL!

My next idea is to jack her up again and look for possible burned or pinched wires.

ANY ideas are welcome.

While I can drive her and she feels great I must plan when and where I shut her down!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #153 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 12:53pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Try a can of air cleaner ( it gets cold if you hold it on something) spray some sensors & see if cooling them down detects a bad one.  Spray the distributor & coil too. Also pull your plugs (look and see if they are wet) to check that you don't have a leaking fuel injector which would flood your engine. Remember if it's getting spark it's almost gotta be a fuel /air mixture problem. Check to see that you are getting 12+ volts everywhere (the ignition areas)

Good luck

Alan Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2019 at 12:55pm by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Reply #154 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 6:39am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I have gone into the house grabbed some wine and sat in frustration . . . . LOL!
Try Vodka

ANY ideas are welcome.
Buy a brand new trouble free Corvette?

While I can drive her and she feels great I must plan when and where I shut her down!
Drive sharky to work, then home after work... and as a dinner car. Take time eating, go get in sharky and drive her home... end of problem.

Just tying to lighten the mood... been there done that many times with yellowjacket.

BTW, Can you give me the brand of what your using for that OBD bluetooth dongle and iPhone? And what you think of it?
Jack

IP Logged

Reply #155 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 1:04pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

LOL! I'm with ya Jack!

I was going to drive her in today and get the dongle part number for you but it was raining so I do not have it handy yet.

The software I have been using is called "Auto Doctor".
It is rather difficult to use on an iPhone while driving but does read my "bad check sum" computer. Other cooler software packages would not.

IF you decide to buy a dongle, remember blue tooth works best with iPad and wifi for androids per what I have read. Also the dongle must be capable of turning itself off when not used. Otherwise it will drain your battery if you leave it in the car and plugged in.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #156 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:20pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I'll probably get the OBD dongle you have and same software as your familiar with it. I have three cars so will it work with all of them, or just the one car? I don't plan to keep it plugged in but just to check now and then and especially if the engine light comes on which it does all the time with the 2000 Ford ranger I have. Which software version of "
Auto Doctor
" you have? The "
Express
" or "
Standard
".

Before contacting you, I was checking out this OBD
https://scanneranswers.com/foseal-wifi-obdii-scanner-review-2016/
and this software.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion/id650684932
Last question, I was reading where some of them can even give you a estimated HP?

Oh yeah I finally after 15 years of android phones switched to iPhone this year. Only because it was buy one get one free from T-Mobile... wifey won that one as she has always had a iPhone. Me, I still like the Samsung Android phones  Sad
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:29pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #157 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 8:41pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Scott, you forget me?

IP Logged

Reply #158 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 11:28am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yup, Sure did. Sorry about that!
The scanner I have in my PU is now getting older but works for both PU's and Diane's vette.

it is Labled :
OBDII Xseries
Wi-Fi ELM 327

The one I want however is the "BlueDriver" it is pretty pricey but I have a fried with one and he really likes it.

If you do not have any particular desire for a specific unit,
PM me with your mailing address. If I send this one away, I'll need another . . . .LOL!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #159 - May 3rd, 2019 at 7:20am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

A little bit and it will get worse before it gets better! LOL!
This week the love has gone to our dinghy. This weekend and next week it all goes to Destiny. We haul her out on Thursday so all other projects stop until she goes back in the water.

As far as Sharky,
She scared me a bit last weekend!
I was getting on a highway and pressed the happy pedal a bit to much!
She hooked up real good for a moment setting me back in my seat. I hung tight to the wheel though! Unfortunately my telescoping steering wheel used that moment to remind me it can telescope! All the excitement and gear change and she was fish tailing. I was able to regain control without issue but boy is it a reminder to be very careful.

Took several days to get the pucker marks out of the leather seats!  Smiley 

I did pick up another mechanical fuel gauge though. My mechanic neighbor wants me to see if the fuel pressure drops when she gets hot. I hope to get to that tonight but I have another obligation I must attend to after work.

Sheesh, kids move out and we get busier??

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #160 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:29am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

69Shark wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 7:20am:
Sheesh, kids move out and we get busier??

Scott

Your gonna find out time never slows down but goes faster as you get older. Funny how most young couples think they will have more time when their kids get older and out of the house. And they never listen either. LOL
Speaking of TIME:
Quoting the Bible, King David once said, "Our days on earth are like wildflowers, we bloom and wither and die. The wind blows, and we are gone—as though we had never been here."

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2019 at 11:39am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #161 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:41am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Glad you didn't loose control...you might want to consider getting 17" tires that grip better.  Mine was not a fun car to drive with the 15"'s.   That much power in these cars can be a scary.  Go out & practice with it..you will see that the back end will kick out faster than you can blink..so lesson #! never floor it unless the wheel is pointed
straight unless you plan on doing donuts Smiley  at 60 mph or faster
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #162 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:56am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

yellowjacket wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:51am:
68-73 wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:32am:
It was my pleasure to share, you will truly enjoy the difference I've blown vipers, porches & many exotic cars away. I think we share about the same  power , but your engine is definitely lighter & rev's higher. I do have a 5 spd though. Just be careful for awhile as that much power in a C-3 can be intimidating. Never did take mine to the track especially after I tore the half shaft out with Jack in the car (2nd gear did it), but I suspect it's easily  a 10 second car so I'd only get one run & they'd throw me off the track.
Alan Smiley

I remember that day!  Shocked
For the next year or so, Veda thought you let me drive the blue monster and I was the one who broke it.  Grin

That was a good memory! Fun riding in the Blue Monster.

NOTE: I actually spent an hour reading all the posts, all 11 pages. This quote above was several pages back.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2019 at 12:02pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #163 - May 3rd, 2019 at 1:38pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

68-73 wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 11:41am:
. . .never floor it unless the wheel is pointed straight . . .
Alan Smiley

Yes sir! I've been told by several folks now the same thing. She's in a whole new class now than she was before. It will take me time to relearn how to drive her!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #164 - May 10th, 2019 at 8:28pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Back to the hard start issue. My fuel pressure gauge showed I had way to much fuel pressure. So, I ordered a fuel pressure regulator. I got it installed last night and my vette runs and starts the way she should now! I still need to hook up speedo, tach, temp, etc but with the blue tooth tool there is no hurry! With the heat today and tomorrow it makes me want to charge the air conditioning! Lol!

Today Diane and I sanded the bottom of Destiny and bottom painted her! Wow what a lot of work! Tomorrow is buffing!

Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.