Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 4790 times)
Reply #165 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:59am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

With Destiny completed and back in the water, I had some time t work on Sharky.
A couple of nights ago I hooked up my "Speedbox". It is a device that can use GPS, OBDII, or transmission signal to drive an electric motor that spins my factory speedometer.

For simplicity I hooked up the GPS with antenna. The unit comes with GPS built in so all I did was take the antenna and using its magnet stuck it to the center top of my radiator support. GPS signal passes through fiberglass! Keyed power and a ground plus my speedo cable and it was done!

I have to say I really like it! very accurate and responsive with minimal delay.
It has the typical GPS issues like it takes a few moments to sync up on startup and it can lose signal at times but hey, It really works!

I'll eventually hook up the tranny signal and it will default to GPS and fall back to the tranny feed when needed.

Pretty cool if you want to keep your original speedometer!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #166 - May 23rd, 2019 at 9:15pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

About time your back! Is that the new toy that replaced what you sent me?

IP Logged

Reply #167 - May 24th, 2019 at 7:13am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Completely different.

This device is basically an electric motor that drives/spins the speedo cable. It has the GPS built in, and can take signal from OBDII and/or tranny. I've had it over a year because I new I would need it and purchased it with my initial startup budget on my LS swap. Just got around to installing it.

The new toy is an OBDII dongle that creates a wireless network in your car allowing one to use a tablet or smart phone to act as gauges for the car. As simple as Speed, Temp and RPM or more complex including boost, MPG, etc. I am using this now as I make my gauges work one by one. I have speed, tach, fuel, and clock all working and I WANT temp and oil pressure working.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #168 - May 24th, 2019 at 7:15am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Oh yeah, the speedbox is dedicated to my vette where the OBDII dongle is mobile and will work in all our cars. It just plugs in.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #169 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:31am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

It's been over a month since your last post... Sharky taking the summer off now?

IP Logged

Reply #170 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 11:54am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Nope!
She's sitting outside my office window right now!
Drove her in to work today on the back roads and will likely take the same route home!

We took Destiny to the San Juan and Gulf Islands for two weeks so I was MIA for a while! Smiley

We had a great trip, saw Minki, Gray, and Orca whales!
Great trip except I think we may have lost the motor in Destiny.
I'll be looking into that this weekend as well as hopefully charging the air on Sharky!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #171 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 3:32am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I think we may have lost the motor in Destiny.

What happened? Racing another sailboat?

Just joking on the last sentence.

IP Logged

Reply #172 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 12:55pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Without disassebly it appears we may have dropped a valve.
I can turn the motor over very easily but only 1/2 turn and it CLANKS.
Same thing other direction. She just puked in Possession Sound outside of everett at the end of our trip. Given zero wind I towed her home with the dinghy.

On another note, my Speedbox died. After a very nice chat with SpeedHut, I have an RMA and will be returning it for repair.

Looks like Speed Hut has pretty darn good customer service so far!

Nice!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #173 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:52pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

You've had a bit of bad luck...

IP Logged

Reply #174 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 4:22am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Sorry to hear about the engine. I remember when I had my chrysler marine V-8 engine worked on in my Penn Yan. The speed shop had a hard time getting it out because on the trailer it was almost 8' to get it over the rails. Then when they put it back in all the water fittings & hookups were wrong. I spent many hours getting thast sorted out.  That thing had a double impeller raw water pump that sucked enough water to work as a fire hose. That engine ran 160 degrees at 4000rpm & the exhaust manifolds were cool to the touch...

What size engine is it anyway, I'm guessing a 4 banger?
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #175 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:21am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yeah, we broke a lot of things on our trip this year. It was amazing how many items gave up the ghost on us. I could list them here but it would scare you all away from boats! LOL! Fortunately I have redundant systems and we still had a great trip but repairs this year have already cost me a lot and will cost a whole lot more. Fortunately Diane and I have prepared for such issues so we are fine and Destiny will be cared for nicely!

As far as the motor, she is currently a Perkins Prima 50 4 cylinder 50hp Diesel. Over 1/4 of a century old now. We had planned on major work on it already but were not expecting a complete failure. I'm sure she can be rebuilt but it will be a complete rebuild not just a head/valve job.

We are currently eyeballing this yanmar 4jh57 . It is a brand I am familiar with and all new technology. Tonight I will be aboard taking measurements and confirming the engine angle, shaft angle, prop diameter, etc. We'll need to gear the new tranny properly for our boat and ensure the angles the motor tranny, and shaft are at.

OH the fun. I already know the exhaust will need to be redone and most likely water intake and exit through hulls will get replaced.

Fun Fun!  Cheesy

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #176 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:37am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Sorry Scott, but I'll never have a sailboat like yours for three reasons.

1. Can't afford it LOL

2. I KNOW you diligently take care of your cars, boats, so to have those things happen will spook me forever.

3. I like speed, so when we buy our next house in a couple years, we plan to buy a fishing boat with two motors, a 50-75 HP with a trolling motor. With all the water we have around here, the bay, lakes etc, it's stupid not to have a boat. I have a rubber raft for lakes, but need one for the rivers and Puget Sound Bay.

Did I say I can't afford it? Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:42am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #177 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 1:01pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yeah, boats can cost a lot! Even if cared for things just break. It is looking like the Yanmar is the engine of choice. Still need a couple of measurements but it will fit in the hole anyway! LOL! Now figuring out the tranny. We've had Destiny about 15 years now and she has gone from being our boat to more like a part of the family. We gave very strong consideration to upgrading but at this point, no kids in the house, Destiny is perfect if not a little large! We can upgrade her way cheaper than a new boat so that is our plan of action. She'll get everything she needs, a few things I want and a few Diane wants.

Back to the vette:

I received an email from SpeedHut that my speedbox will arrive tomorrow! WOW! What turnaround! I am impressed! We are looking at about a week and a half including shipping both ways! I assume it will work! I have already wired the Transmission to the harness and confirmed the GPS antenna should have no issues where I have it mounted under the hood. Hooking up the tranny removes all delays for speedo function. Once the GPS makes connection the GPS feed will be the priority signal as it should be most accurate. Should GPS be lost, the tranny feed takes over. I am very excited to see the unit in action again. I hate non working gauges! LOL!

SO far the LS is AWESOME! North of 500hp and ultimately reliable! Backed up by the 4L75E she runs at 2000 RPM or so at 65 MPH The tranny shifts nice and smooth if I baby the car around town. Almost don't feel the shifts. Get into it some and the shifts firm right up and she feels quite snappy! Jump on the throttle and the shift points are delayed and down right hard! Tires just cannot grip the road! I still cannot feather it nicely  Grin but I am learning! As far as that beast C6 that my bride drives . . . .  it is not even close in a straight line! I can leave her in my smoke! Tire smoke that is!  Cheesy

My baby is far from the fastest car I've ever been in but she is far faster than ANY car we've ever owned!  Cool

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #178 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 7:09am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

A rare day in the C3 world on Sunday!

Back up to Friday . . .
I took my baby in to an air conditioning shop and had the evac and filling of R134A! I had just replaced the dryer just to be sure! We found two leaks and fixed them on the spot. One was a lose fitting, the other, some idiot that installed my new compressor forgot an "o" ring  in one of the lines! I won't mention my name so you won't know who it was!  Cheesy

The compressor did not want to spin. We had 1.8 lbs of R134A in the system. Decided it my be to much so we removed some. The compressor started to catch better and spin up. Nice! As I drove home I turned the system on and off several times and she started working great!

Sunday morning, I had the hardtop on, windows up, and it was about 75 degrees! Up the freeway I went to test the air at speed instead of stop and go traffic. OH WOW! My feet got freezing cold! OMG! Yeah, I know, it was only 75 out but it sure was nice to not be HOT driving my vette! My cheap 6 dollar kithen thermometer showd 39 degrees coming out my ball vent!   Cool

One more thing working again!
Scott

Oh yeah, my cruise control unit is ordered and on its way! LOL!

IP Logged

Reply #179 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 9:39am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

With that small cabin the after market air works very well...good to hear everthing is coming together
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.