Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 1932 times)
Reply #45 - May 14th, 2018 at 11:02am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

NO real movement on my 69 this last weekend!
With Mothers Day and all I was not going anywhere near my car! LOL!

However,
I did manage to come across another tilt tele column for my vette a year or so ago.
Yes I have one already. The one I have in the car now is a little warn and it does not like to stay in the tilt position I happen to like.

SO I delivered my "other" column to a guy for a mechanical restoration. EG: he will go through it and make sure all is in good working order!

Otherwise we drive to Eastern Wa to visit my mom on Saturday and spend Sunday pampering my bride!

Scott
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2018 at 11:02am by 69Shark »  
IP Logged

Reply #46 - May 15th, 2018 at 7:08am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

HA!
I picked up my drive line yesterday afternoon!

Looks great!
I hope to get it in in the next few days!

Unfortunately my after work time is generally spoken for so I'll have to sneak out in between other obligations! LOL!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #47 - May 16th, 2018 at 3:04am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

69Shark wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 11:02am:
NO real movement on my 69 this last weekend!
With Mothers Day and all I was not going anywhere near my car! LOL!

Otherwise we drive to Eastern Wa to visit my mom on Saturday and spend Sunday pampering my bride!

Scott

Very smart man!!! Now we know how you stay married longer than most do in the NW.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - May 16th, 2018 at 6:52am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yes sir Jack!
I was lucky to find my bride and I want her to know it!

Here is the driveline!

IP Logged

Reply #49 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:13am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I would seriously consider a drive shaft loop protector too. Small price to pay so you don't cart wheel down the road someday.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #50 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:37am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yesterday my side exhaust pipes arrived!

I finished a financial program for my dad yesterday evening so I hope I can work more on my vette after work now! Cheesy

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #51 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:44am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

69Shark wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 6:37am:
Yesterday my side exhaust pipes arrived!

Scott

Hey! Show a pic of that! I always love sidepipes!

68-73-77 wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 9:13am:
I would seriously consider a drive shaft loop protector too. Small price to pay so you don't cart wheel down the road someday.
Alan Smiley

Yup, I was with Alan once in the Blue Monster when he stomped on it and snapped the Ujoint. Boy was that loud. Could have been much worse without a shaft loop.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2018 at 4:51am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #52 - May 18th, 2018 at 6:55am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Hey Jack,
The pipes I got are basically the same as what I had with bigger pipes and air flow.
They are BB Factory style!

I have not opened the boxes yet. That will be Saturday. Then I'll take photos!

Last night I tried to put the drive line in NO where near enough room! Doh!
Looks like I have to either disassemble the u joints or somehow rotate the rear end.

Anyone have suggestions? Length looks good, I just can not get the thing in place with the limited space!

I did hook the tranny cooler lines to the radiator which is a simple 3/8 pipe thread!
Brass fittings were easy to find and install!

I have most of the weekend to fiddle with the car so I hope to get more done!

Scott
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2018 at 6:56am by 69Shark »  
IP Logged

Reply #53 - May 19th, 2018 at 7:38pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

So, Saturday,
Today I was going to put the drive line in.

However the sister-in-law came over to spend the night Friday and watch the "wedding" in the wee hours of the morning.

Now, I love my sister-in-law. ( incase my wife is watching )

However she is a bit, how do I say, Oh yeah, LOUD!

So for my sanity I spent the night Friday in the RV! NICE!
Antenna TV has reruns of Johny Carson! Perfect!

Saturday morning after a great sleep.  I Called my pop and spent several hours doing a 5 minute job. YIKES. My dad is getting older. Dang. So I went out in the garage at an early 1:00 PM in the afternoon. Darn. Instead of fussing with the driveline, I tackled the lose rear sway bar. It seems one of the bolts came lose and was not able to simply unbolt it. It was buggered up. Yeah, I do not have a lift so the creeper was the tool of choice! I managed to use a saws all to remove the existing bolt! NICE! I then used a magnetic tool that extends like an antenna to put a new bolt in place! YEAH! Then with small needle nose I could grab the bolt, pull it down through the hole in the frame and pull the magnetic tool off! NICE! I assumed a 3 hour job and it only took an hour or so! Sweet!

The rear anti sway bar is now bolted nicely as it should be with no lose ends!

Tomorrow?
The driveline . . . . . . . .

I have already removed one of the bolts on the cross member that holds the pumpkin.
I hope the other bolt removed will allow me to rotate the pumpkin enough to install the driveline!
We will see . . . . .

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #54 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:25am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I'm thinking if you tape up the frt ujoint & unbolt it you should have just enough room after the yoke is full seated...then just slide it back a bit.  I had enough room to do it the normal way ..frt in first then the rear slides in barely.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #55 - May 20th, 2018 at 6:48pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Wow! What a chore! I for the life of me could not get the new u-joint off the yoke.
I pulled the little spring loaded copper looking ring easy enough but absolutly could not get the caps off the u-joint.  I suspect the fresh paint was an issue. So, the pumpkin had to move. I figured if I could roll the pumpkin enough I could slide the drive line up and over the top and then slide the yoke in. Easier said than done given my baby is on jack stands and not a lift. 4 hours under the my baby, pulling the rear spring, the crossmember the pumpkin is bolted to, and just getting frustrated, and I had the driveline in and all the stuff I removed back together! Diane even spent a moment or two on the creeper under the car giving me a needed 3rd hand! I made dang sure her hair did not get in the creeper wheels!

Either way, one more item on the list is now complete! New balanced driveline, ujoints and yoke! All installed and done! For those wondering, I had to shorten the driveline for the 4l75e transmission.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #56 - May 21st, 2018 at 6:07am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Glad I got all my stuff done to yellowjacket long ago... I know all about those kind of jobs that don't go as planned. But it was a fun 10 year run with yellowjacket, shared right on this forum with tons of help from Alan!

IP Logged

Reply #57 - May 21st, 2018 at 6:55am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Sorry to hear about the nightmare driveshaft install.  This is the reason I bought a lift when I got the 68 16 yrs ago, then a 2 post & now the best of both worlds. At my age if I rolled around on a creeper I'd never get up. Shocked  Not sure how you got your wife under there but more power too you Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #58 - May 29th, 2018 at 9:07am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Ah! Long 3 day weekend!
Spent most of my time with family but I did get some more wiring done on the vette! Specifically replaced alternator wires as they were old and the insulation was cracked.

I did open my still boxed exhaust pipes! They look great!

...  ...

We did however hit the water in our sailboat. We stumbled across the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chiefton having mock battles on the water! The canons were fun to hear!

... ... ...

It was a great weekend!
Scott
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2018 at 9:08am by 69Shark »  
IP Logged

Reply #59 - May 30th, 2018 at 5:03am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

You had a great weekend indeed... family, corvette time & sailboating! Love the pipes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.