Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
LS7 in a 1969 Corvette Convertible (Read 2434 times)
Reply #60 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 7:27pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

It's been two weeks, Whatzup?
Shouldn't you be driving Sharky now that it's summer?
Or is it just the Harley for now?

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:29am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Been on the Harley!
My father spent the last week at our house, we had Diane's family the week before and the vette has literally been just sitting.

Not likely going to get work done this weekend either. To hot in the garage for mid week work and this is the first weekend in a long time Diane will have time alone! LOL!

We will likely spend most of this weekend on the boat! Need to launch the dinghy!

For those in Puget Sound area, you should get to the water and see the extremely low tides! You already missed the lowest for the year but they are still low!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 2:15pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

The Bald Eagles are out when the tide is low....

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:49am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Looking like Sharky is gonna be a fall, winter project now that summer is halfway over. At least you have wifey's Corvette to drive... if she lets you.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 7:51am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yeah, I've been moving slow on her. Yesterday I cut to fit the air cleaner and intake.
Been extremely busy. Add to that the heat and my lack of motivation on Sharky she has been sitting a lot. Every item I work on now fights me tooth and nail!

Finally got bigwavedave's vette up to speed and road worthy as well as taking his son for a drive and show his wife how to drive the car. She had never driven the car and was nervous.

My dads vette is now in my driveway and getting love for what looks like the first time in a while. We've kept it open in all the heat to try and kill the mold in it. He had cleaned the interior before sending but there are areas still needing attention. I'm going to TAB the car so I can drive it more often. It is a pretty car that just needs a serious buffing and to be driven. It is not bad but can certainly gain from attention.

So Sharky gets less attention that I want. She is close though!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:17am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Over two months and nothing done? Must be a wintertime project now... does it feel strange not to drive Sharky after driving her all these years in the summer. Or is your Harley that much fun? You have two other Corvettes to drive so not all is lost. LOL
Just wondering

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Sep 27th, 2018 at 8:39am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Just got the air intake and cleaner finished.
Had to order and cut 4" ducting for that "perfect" fit.

Then took it to the local machine shop to have the MAF bung welded in place.
Proper measurements required as the bung had to fit between the power steering reservoir and alternator. Had it put in at 45 degrees  off the side to ensure it fits under the hood.

Now trying to decide if I should leave it polished aluminum or have it powder coated flat black for a more subdued look.

Lowes was selling all their Cobalt brand toolboxes for half price since they are now selling craftsman toolboxes.

So I grabbed this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3000-64-5-in-W-x-41-in-H-11-Drawer-Ball-bearing-...

Basically a bottom role away box but almost 5 1/2 feet wide! Very nice!
So my garage is getting moved around at the moment.

Yes, Sharky has been sitting as my desire to work on here waned a bit. Everything is a fight now. getting all the little stuff to work! Doh!

As far as the Harley? Heck yeah! Road up to Oyster Run last weekend! Very nice weather and ride! I took a simple 55minute slab run and stretched it to 2 hours on back roads!

Desire to play with Sharky as again grown in my heart and progress is starting back up!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Oct 2nd, 2018 at 7:06am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Over the weekend I decided to get the main computer and wiring installed.
Well, getting the GIANT plugs through the firewall is a bit of a challenge. I only have one through at this time.

I did however find a place for the new fuse block that came with.
I will mount it on the firewall on the drivers side. I had to find a mounting bracket for it. I found a part number that is now discontinued. I called the local chevy dealer and asked the part guy what car did this part number come from?

1996-2005 Astro and safari vans!

Hmm, Local "Pick and Pull" has two of them in the yard! So last night off I went!
The first van had the mounting bracket but someone was kind enough to damage it during fuse block removal. Thanks.

It took a bit but I found the second van. Here someone completely removed the bracket and set it aside! I'm guessing they wanted the fuse box.

SO, all I had to do was pick it up and put it in my tool bag! LOL!
7 bucks later and I was on my way home with an Astro Van part destined to live in my Corvette!

A test fit proved it to be the correct part!

For the curious, the part number is a GM number 15723696
I noticed a minor difference in the bracket between the older cars in the range and the newer. Both will work. Both would need a large tab trimmed off to fit flat on my firewall.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:46am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Another small milestone last night!
With the wiring harness that GM provided there are 3 HUGE plugs for the computer that runs the engine. Getting these three individually through the firewall is a major challenge if you do not want to cut up your car. GM was kind enough to bundle the three plugs together in a wire loom with only a few inches of wire pigtail each! YIKES!

Well fortunately I replaced my heater box with vintage air. That in itself left almost enough room. I still had to pull the passenger side dash apart, remove the hoses, and partially remove the new heater box. What a chore! Finally with much time, patients, and arm bending I was able to snake the three plugs into the passenger side of my car!

Today my right wrist and arm are sore likely from the twisting and turning I had to do!
I hated dong that job but now it is done and I feel good about it!

Scott
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:30am by 69Shark »  
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:32am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Saturday was busy with friends.
Sunday however found me with a couple of hours free so back to my Shark!
After several attempts to mount the computer and reassembling the passenger dash, I finally found a place for the engine computer that works.

It is super snug right there!
I was able to put the dash back together and screwed in place!
Nice!

The transmission computer was next. Since it clearly states it can survive the engine bay, i mounted it on the firewall where the wiper door plunger thing goes. Holes already there, just bolt it in!

Next, I unmounted the already mounted fuse box so I could stuff wires through the firewall. OBDII plug went in easy, MIL wires went in ( not sure what those are yet) , but the throttle wire was a no go. Plug is just to big. My thoughts are to pull the throttle cable and enlarge that hole. Not done yet.

My bride came home so off to help her with stuff and cook dinner soon!
Easy day.
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 8:50am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Well you got some stuff done! Now you have all winter to finish up. No excuse not to be out crusin' next Spring. Grin

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 9:42am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I do have a question was this vet a SB original car? If so have you beefed up the rear end?
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:54am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I have not personally beefed the rear end however have every reason to believe it has been. Per Adam (remember Monkey Wrench ? ) My drive line and uJoints had been beefed up along the way by previous owner.

I do know the gears were changed to 3.73' from the original 3.08's and she had some race history. Nothing famous.

FYI, I am waiting for the half shaft loops from Dragvettes.

She is an original SB car. I hope to retain drivability!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:56am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

yellowjacket wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 8:50am:
Well you got some stuff done! Now you have all winter to finish up. No excuse not to be out crusin' next Spring. Grin

If I don't get her done soon, my bride might shoot me! LOL!
Our garage is pretty tight!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:46am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

At the suggestion of Alan, I decided to install half shaft loops.
they arrived Friday! Saturday I could not budge the bolts on the half shafts at the wheel end. So I soaked them in anti seize over night! Sunday I was able to break all loose with no issues. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. I unbolted each half shaft at the wheel. Not at the pumpkin. I then used a pry bar to uncouple each from the hub. Once loose but not removed, I used my Chinese puzzle skills to slip each loop over the shafts! Note they are different. There is a loop for the passenger side and one for the driver side. I bolted the half shafts back in place befor bolting the loops. The rest is pretty easy following a video online. Easy sell to my bride as these are a safety item.
Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.