Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Time for a break job (Read 145 times)
Apr 15th, 2018 at 3:03am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Took the 68 out for a little run last week before changing the oil & noticed it pulling to the left when I apply the breaks. Checked out the frt rotors & they have slight groves starting.  Been almost 16 yrs since I last went over the breaks, time flies when you are having fun. So I ordered some CRYO slotted rotors & good dustless pads. I'll probably just order  some rebuilt calipers from somewhere like rock auto. Will repack the frt wheel bearing while I'm in there Roll Eyes ..don't remember if I installed stainless break cables but I'll check.  Do it right once & things last Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:44am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I decided to go with Wilwood break calipers. After pricing everything the price isn't that different. I could rebuilt them myself ,but I'm gettin lazy & these are a definite upgrade.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:43am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Sounds awesome!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2018 at 4:01am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Finally got some free time to start the breaks, everything fit perfect except the drivers side break line fitting which is to high to fasten the clip. So I'll raise the T up a bit & shim it.  Not sure where I can do the pad & rotor bedding procedure with out getting a ticket. They want you to do some light acceleration them mild decelerations until the breaks begun the heat up. Then move on to medimun & hard. The hard is the problem 8- -10 hard decelerations from 55-65mph down to 25mph. Should prove interesting Shocked  Maybe I'll wait until Sat when the industrial park is empty...just hope no cops are hiding in here Tongue
Alan Smiley

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2018 at 5:34am by 68-73-77 »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2018 at 9:08am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

LOL!
Oh the problems vette owners have!

Looks very nice!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2018 at 11:07am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Just did the front, but after thinking about it I ordered the same for the rear.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2018 at 7:00am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Nice!
Don't forget those pesky pins the pads ride on!
I found mine were severely worn when I did my brakes last year!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 7:41am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Everything is new & they weight about 1/4 of the OEM Calipers. I'll wait until I do the rear breaks before I attempt the pad ware in process.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2018 at 5:06am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Got the rear breaks in now to find the time to install Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:23am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

NICE!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:22am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Breaks off

Breaks on..had to shim the rear breaks. Glued the washers on the caliper with some upholstery glue I had  Cool

Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:32pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

68-73-77 wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:22am:
Breaks off
[img]

Breaks on..had to shim the rear breaks. Glued the washers on the caliper with some upholstery glue I had  Cool
[img]

Alan Smiley

I think I had to shim the calipers on the 73, Don't remember if it was in the front or rear. If I had to guess it was the rear. 
Sucks getting old..........jack

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:29am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Went down to the shop & took the vette out at 0630 this morning to break in the breaks & rotors.  Did 45 to 20mph about 5 times then 45-20 5 times them 65-25 hard 5 times . Boy they really were smoking hot. No fad or leaks but it should be bleed again. Then I should be good to go. Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:48am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Put the car back on the lift for a final check & bleed. Went to lower it & one of the pulleys on the lift broke. I was able to lower it though. Called Bendpak & they still have parts available...so I ordered 2 pulleys just in case. Now I ordered this lift in 2002 so that's a pretty good track record & I was very pleased they still carried parts.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:02pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I hope you can not see the jealousy in my eyes! LOL!

Oh how I wish I had a nice lift right now!
Scott

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.