Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Best Temps & RPM range for driving up mountains with 8 speed tranny? (Read 368 times)
Reply #15 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 1:54pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I went to Harbor Freight & purchased a big crescent wrench set. Good to keep a few around when you are towing just in case something comes loose.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 7:00pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73-77 wrote on Jun 22nd, 2018 at 1:54pm:
I went to Harbor Freight & purchased a big crescent wrench set. Good to keep a few around when you are towing just in case something comes loose.
Alan Smiley

Yeah, I have big Crescent wrench. Just can't torque it with a big Socket but it would work in a emergency like you said. When I'm in the mountains, I take a lot of tools.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 2:09am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You are correct investing in large sockets can be pricey for a one time use & if I remember correctly they are tq'd pretty high.  I also used locktite (red) ...ask him if he does!!!  It is the wise think to do letting a pro set it up.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 12:47pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Well, the
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch
is installed. This shop, Ballew,s Hitch, Truck & RV is a 3rd generation owned shop for 65 years. Best reputation in Tacoma. The owner himself installed the system. I took pics of every step incase I have to work on it down the road. They specialize in Equal-i-zer brand and accessories too. I'm glad I got it done there. However, it seems a bit noisy stopping, going around corners etc. (can't hear it "deaf" but can feel it so I know it's making noise. Is that normal? Maybe the chains etc?

0622181501a-post.jpg (148 KB | 3 )
0622181501a-post.jpg
0622181501d-post.jpg (137 KB | 3 )
0622181501d-post.jpg
0622181502-post.jpg (206 KB | 3 )
0622181502-post.jpg
0622181518.jpg (153 KB | 2 )
0622181518.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 4:15am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Looks like a good setup. I apply a light coating of white grease to metal to metal contact places  before a tow & wipe it off when I get back this helps with the squeaks & other noises. But  they do make noise....my electric/hydraulic brakes make lots of noise when I step on the brakes. Keep the windows up Roll Eyes
Ala Smiley   
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2018 at 4:16am by 68-73-77 »  
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 8:11pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73-77 wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 4:15am:
Looks like a good setup. I apply a light coating of white grease to metal to metal contact places  before a tow & wipe it off when I get back this helps with the squeaks & other noises. But  they do make noise....my electric/hydraulic brakes make lots of noise when I step on the brakes. Keep the windows up Roll Eyes
Ala Smiley   

Ah... I bet I was hearing ...er feeling some of "electric/hydraulic brakes" as well.

Oh yeah, I had a heck of a time getting the passenger side bar loose to get it off the L bar. Took a half hour to budge it... had to get the Tongue Jack really high and use a crow bar to get it loose. Hope it's not always like that! They did say at the shop it would be real stiff for awhile. So like you said here, lubing it may help that...

One more concern, isn't lifting the rear of pickup AND front of trailer a lot of strain on the tongue ball hitch coupler latch? Couldn't something there break?
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2018 at 11:21pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 4:05am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I always hook up the trailer to the truck then raise everything up about 1-2 " then hook up the levelers.  Reverse order to take then off. It should be fairly easy to do this way.  If not I would say it's not adjusted properly. For what you paid it should be right & they should instruct you how to install & take off.  You probably only have electric drum breaks.....electric hydraulic breaks are almost always an expensive upgrade which use disc breaks (that are not noisy) ...the kit is $1200.00 & many hours to install.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:58pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

On the RV forum I hang out at pretty much all say they had a heck of a time getting that bar off in the beginning. They all say it's noisy too... like that bothers me. LOL. But it might the wife. I was just concerned something was loose. Anyways, here is an example of what one of the the long time members had to say about this: (he is a little older than me and been RVing for years.

Quote:
Lube it and use it. A couple of things will happen: it will get quieter and it will get easier to pull the bars off. When we initially installed ours I thought I would have to find Hercules to remove them....after I had lifted the trailer/truck.

When you raise the truck/trailer with the jack raise until you feel that you have a little play in the bar at the L bracket..stop then. Remove the little bar retainer and either take the end of the bar and jerk it until it will clear to wherever you want it or, take a bar and place it behind the wdh bar, wedge it on the ground and pull backward; repeat until it is where you want. I used about a 5' length of 1" pipe (it had already been finished and painted). I no longer need it....usually. I will add that depending on where you are parked, and how you have to back to get back on the hitch, I've gotten where I open the bars wide so that it gives me some leeway on the angle hitching up without having to take the bar and pulling the swivels out further (I used the cheater bar for that too....much lighter than the wdh bars).

I torque to 65 psi on the bolts. When new it is hard to pull the bars out without the cheater bar. When it has been broken in it is no problem. I would offer you mine but I'm sure, at some point, in some location, my bars will be in a bind and I will have to have it to get loose!! It WILL get better and the cheater bar makes ALL the difference.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:59pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:54am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Thought you might be interested in this
https://roadslesstraveled.us/trailer-electric-over-hydraulic-disc-brake-conversi
on-fifth-wheel-rv-upgrade/

Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 3:24pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Thanks Alan! Will probably do that next year as we're maxed out on spending as we bought the truck/trailer, and buying property this year.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:32am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Hey Jack,
I have a similar set up.
When taking the "L" bracket off and then the bars, try and make sure your truck and trailer are parked straight and level. It makes a huge difference. Also raising your truck more with the tongue jack really helps. To make our lives easier, I replaced the tongue jack with an electric one. I believe the brand is Husky.

All I did was find the jack rated for our setup and bought the next size up. It is geared slower but who cares. It should last forever as I'll never load it to its rated capability.

Install is very easy, 3 bolts and two wires.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 1:11pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Thanks for the tips Scott. Yes, I discovered it was easier to put the bars on at a level place. My driveway is a little steep and campsite we were just at over the 4th of July:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/2018-Alder-Reflection-Lakes-Waterfalls.htm
was not level and at an angle where the truck was so I took it to a level place to put the bars on. Still a bit of work, but getting the hang of it. I'll get an electric jack this winter... we've spent enough on the truck/trailer for on year. LOL.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:55am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Hey Jack,
I believe you mentioned lubing the sway bars in an above post. I'd recommend,
DO NOT lube them where the sway bar, L Bracket and tongue all come together.
That is an intentional friction point. That is how the anti sway works.

If you lube it, I believe you will be defeating the anti sway part of your hitch.

At a minimum, check your manuals or online. Please post here  if you discover otherwise!
I'd be very interested to know!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:58pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I'll check the RV forums as they've given good info and see what they said. I recall they told me what and where to lube. I'll check again. Thanks for the heads up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.