Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Linux (Read 188 times)
Aug 21st, 2018 at 4:56am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Anyone use Linux? I'm in the process of switching over my business computers to Linux. I've had it with Microsoft & there intrusive software & constant updates from Hell.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 12:10pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I work in Unix and am slowly converting to Linux.
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:29am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

So far I really like Linux..there's a learning curve but I think it'll be well worth it & should save me lots of money.  I currently run 8-12 computers...no more MS upgrades or money  to dish out for new operating systems, virus  programs....my smile is getting bigger each day.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:15pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Linux? I guess I'll have to google it. Would it help someone like me? I don't like viruses and the microsoft monopoly.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 8:02am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

If you can figure out how to run the programs you use it's light years better than microsoft.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 7:52pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Per what you've said above Alan, I'm making the jump Friday afternoon to Linux. Some questions before I do.

I've been reading online where Linux is faster and
Also you have to pay $119+ for Windows 10 and ZERO $ for Linux.
I'm tired of Microsoft’s monopoly, arrogance and proneness for viruses.

So, I'm looking for input from you. I'm searching online as well. But I trust you more.

My laptop is pretty darn fast and I want to keep it that way. Right now I have nothing installed on the SSD other than the Windows 8.1 - I use two 4TB Passport external drives for files, folder backups and photography photos and such.

The laptop is primary used for:
I'm online a lot surfing and searching for info.
I use Firefox and Google Chrome. Explorer... never. What does Linux use for a browser? Also, it is very important that WiFi works with Linux. If not, then it's a deal breaker.
I use Adobe CS6 everyday... is that compatible with Linux?
I've used Gmail for 18 years now... can I keep it on Linux?
I like to use Delorme's Maps, is that compatible on Linux?
I'm going to ditch MS Word and Excel and find something else to use. So what do you use?

If I have to, I can do most of the above on my Tablet which is also fast with SSD.
I have all of the above on my Tablet and other laptop.

If I make the jump and I'm pretty sure I'm going to, do you have the links on how to do this properly?
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2018 at 8:16pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:09am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Got this info on a laptop forum I've been a member of since 2006. Not getting to use my Adobe CS6 might be a deal breaker though. I use that every day. Maybe I'll try the GIMP program they offer?

Below are quick answers to some of the software questions you asked. The great thing is you don't have to wait to run all of them! Gimp, Thunderbird, LibreOffice and many others run on both Linux and Windows. I recommend that since this is your first foray in to Linux, that you install some of the software on Windows to see how you like it and if it can is up to your standards. The next step after this would be to attempt to run a version of Linux in a Virtual Environment via virtualization software. This will allow you to use Linux on top of windows without causing any long term changes. The best software to use for this is call Virtual box. I recommend Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or Fedora for beginners, you can find a breif overview of how to set this up at: https://www.lifewire.com/run-ubuntu-within-windows-virtualbox-2202098

After a couple of weeks/months of using Linux on a virtual box and getting comfortable with it, then you can dive in and install it either dual boot with windows or completely wipe the windows install using only Linux.

Adobe CS6: No, but there are Linux alternatives i.e Gimp

Browser: Firefox, Chrome and Many others run on Linux in fact Firefox is usually the default now days.

WiFi: Depends on the laptop and hardware. Dell XPS's 13 are sold from Dell with Linux, so it is compatible.

Gmail: Yup you can use it in the browser, or if you need a mail client you have options. Thunderbird, Evolution, etc.

Delorme's Maps: At this time DeLorme does not have any products that are designed for or tested on the Linux (Unix) operating system.

MS Office: LibreOffice is a great replacement.

SLing TV: Yes, may need some browser tweaks though.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 11:34am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Alan already helped me via email. Since Linux won't run some programs I use everyday, I decided to go with Windows 10 pro. I'm installing it now.

So Alan, what should I replace MS Word / Excel with? Or Keep using it. I'm using the 2010 version on my other laptops.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2018 at 11:36am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:59pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I use https://www.openoffice.org/ it's free & works just as good as M/S Office which I think sucks now plus it's expensive.
Alan  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 4:01am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Thanks Alan! I will give it a try. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 6:23am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Windows 10 is working fine. My only complaint is it want to do updates whether I want them to be done or not... especially when it don't give me a choice at shutdown saying update and shutdown with no option to shutdown without updating. This is a pain when I'm on the road with no AC adaptor. I think I'll see if I can turn off updates and only do it when I feel like it.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:12am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You can keep postponing them for a month or so at a time, but be careful after the first time just do it once each month or they force you to update.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 5:30pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

68-73-77 wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 1:59pm:
I use https://www.openoffice.org/ it's free & works just as good as M/S Office which I think sucks now plus it's expensive.
Alan  Smiley

I have had that for a few years

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.