Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Engine problem (Read 51 times)
Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:55am

Goblin   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hi
I own a c3 1969 bigblock Corvette. With 390 bhp
This Car has gode true an engin rebuild  where the pistons has been replaced. We have Done three oil changes and the last one  took place at 07/06 2018. The oil they used is. Gulf Classic mineral oil 20/50.
I have always heared  a ticking sound at start up which dissapeared when the engine reached its idle temp or as soon as the oil has been temprated.
During this time (drivning after the last oilchange)i didnt  notice any deviation in  performance  or anything else other than the initial ticking.
Yesterday i ran a controll and i discovered that the oilstick  was totally dry, so i bought  the first best available  oil i could find and poured it into the engine. It took more than 2,6 liter oil to reach the almost filluped marking on the stick , oil level is now about 1 or 1,5 cm under the uppger limit .
The oil i used is super comp SAE 20- 50 by payback lubricants. the Car had 86700 something on its counter when i recieved it and after enginerebuild  and  now  she has 90050 miles on her counter and i Can not  think that i have driven  her more than 1500 miles from the last oil change but for the sake of argument  assume  that i drove   2000 miles since last oilchange.
When it comes to engine IM not an experinced diy  doer. Therefor i ask for your opinion and input
Can this oil shortage during past period resultat in  a permanent engine damage?
I know old cars burn oil and yes newly modified engine does the same. But Can this oilusage be considered normal?
Why didnt i get  any warning indikation due to oilshortage, or there is not any?
I even sending  a recording of engine sound it is taken when Car is almost warmed up, recording is taken with open Hood and recorder is hold close to enginebody
Can you hear any disturbing sound  ?
I might be somehow oversensitive towards ticking and maybe even to dager to hear it therefor i ned you to hear this and  till me what you hear

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:56am

Goblin   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Sadla i could not send the sound in this file but maybe i Can send it as message to these WHO are intrested in that.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 3:05pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Send the sound to youtube & post a link.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.