Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

77 production question (Read 150 times)
Mar 28th, 2019 at 4:46am

Roger D.   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

My 77 coupe is an L82 4spd.  I know 49,000 or so 77's were produced, 6000 or so were L82 and only 2000 or so were 4spds.  My question is are there any figures showing how many L82 4spds were made? 
Also, I've noticed many of the posts on this forum are very old.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 6:58am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I have no real answer for you however I do have a "Corvette Black Book" that shares many of these numbers. You might look there!

Welcome to the forum!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 7:28am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Some of the people on here might know. I have no idea. Old posts because the forum is old 17 years & many members have passed on....
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 12:09pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I don't ever remember the Black Book or any other publication breaking it down that far. Same for automatics...jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 3:37pm

Roger D.   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

A question and then some interesting points.
What is significant about the 77 that it has it's own forum section?
Interesting points I have learned about my 77:
(All this info I have comes from the internet and Corvette books)
My 77 is #186 built on the first day of production Aug 1, 1976.
It has the alarm lock on the fender and no crossed flag emblems.
If it had the original engine it would be painted chevy orange, they changed to blue about 2 weeks into the production year.
As it does not have the original L82, it does have block casting 10066036, which was the GM Goodwrench crate motor # it would have received in a warranty swap or a dealer installed repair. Also read that engine has around 30 more hp.
Not that it's all that important, but what does that do for the car's restored value, if I were to go that route ?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:36pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Too bad it doesn't have the original L82 as the value would be much higher being it's a first day production Corvette. As it is, you may as well put in what you want for your own pleasure. I did. Fix it up, drive it and enjoy driving it.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 4:54am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

The value of the 77's has not come back like it was yrs ago, but it probably will. It's true the L82 had more hp  but the L48 had  more TQ 270 vs 255 at a lower rpm 2400 vs 3600 so they were probably about equal in performance below 80 mph.  My 77 is a 2nd day of production 242 & still has the OEM orange engine & runs perfectly...in fact I'll be taking it for a 100 + mile rum tomorrow Cool.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 7:46am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I have to disagree with the statement about the casting number, 10066036 being the "service replacement under warranty". It would have been 3970010 for that warranty period 1969-79. Your block is todays GM replacement Heco Mexico later casting .... jack

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 12:09pm

Roger D.   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Thanks for that.  Not surprised the internet was wrong. Roll Eyes Whatever it is, it runs good.  Looks to me like last owner burned out the clutch, then let it sit for about 8-10 years.  Will put it in storage for a while as I finish other projects.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:31pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

the best answer I can give is there is probably no way of knowing how many L-82/4 speeds combinations were made of the 49213 models 6148 were L-82 both auto and manual, 41,231 were automatic transmissions and 43,065 were L-48 leaving 5922 manual transmission equipped corvettes so of the total production 8,922 were 4 speed cars in any case if you have an L-82/4 speed you probably have a pretty low production car.
...........Chris Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.