Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

What were YOU dong 50 years ago today? (Read 138 times)
Jul 20th, 2019 at 10:42am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

50 years ago today, I stayed home from school (was a junior in high school) to watch the first man on space! Still remember that vividly! Right now I'm heading to Seattle's Flight Museum for the big Moon event:
https://www.museumofflight.org/Exhibits/Destination-Moon

Until I process the moon pics I took last night, will also take some tonight, I took this a couple years ago:

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:37pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I was on a aircraft carrier off the coast of Vietnam listening to a radio about the moon landing Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 2:29pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73 wrote on Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:37pm:
I was on a aircraft carrier off the coast of Vietnam listening to a radio about the moon landing Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley

I bet the whole ship was listening...

I have several Apollo DVDs, taped all the stuff this week on TV on it and bought the latests 4K Bluray DVD called FIRST MAN staring Ryan Gosling.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 9:01am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Actually most of the ship didn't have access to a radio or they were working. I was lucky as I was an airman (Avaition Anti-Submarine Warfare Technician AX-2) & worked on aviation electronics in a secure area called AMD while flying missions about every 2-3 days over Vietnam. My area was Top Secret and no one without a clearance was allowed to enter & we had a radio Cool along with Scotch & toilet paper which were very valuable at that time Grin
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 4:08pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Very interesting Alan. You've led an interesting life!

Well, yesterday when I got to the Flight Museum, there was no parking and waaaay too many people. So, instead I headed up to Mt Rainier to get some wildflower blooms pics and was lucky to get a moon shot to celebrate the moon event. So it worked out. In one pic you clearly see the moon because I zoomed in to the peak to the left of Mt Rainier, in the other pic you have to really squint to the left side of Mt Rainier to "barely" see the moon. Five more minutes and that moon was gone! The Truck pic was at White River and the wildflower blooms was Tipsoo Lake. It was a great day, I'm glad I went.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2019 at 2:26pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 2:27pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I'm surprised Alan and I were the only ones here who took the Moon event seriously?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 4:57am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

It's a different world out there now Jack Sad
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 3:44pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 4:57am:
It's a different world out there now Jack Sad
Alan Smiley

Yep... ain't that the truth!!! All you have to do is watch the Politics to see that!  Angry
I'm glad Dad is not around to see it.

I posted these pics on a couple photo forums and got a lot of posts saying the landing on the moon was staged and a hoax. Just like their saying that now for the WWII holocaust, never happened, staged.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 9:44am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

50 years ago I was 4 years old and remember my dad making us all watch the landing telling us it was historic and we'd never forget it!

I do remember watching and thinking it was cool.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:24pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Now THAT is a good Dad!!! Teaching you while young.

Only thing I can remember before Five was Mom caught me pretending to smoke cigarettes outside. Apparently I was picking them up out of the gutter and pretending to smoke. I wouldn't stop even with getting scolded and having my hinny smacked. So she told Dad and he took me to the store and told me to pick any cigarettes I wanted. I excitedly picked Camels. Then we went home and Dad took me to the bathroom and said "smoke 'em all" and showed me how as he smoked himself. Well, I couldn't get past the second cigarette and got real sick. Mom was mad as heck with Dad for making her baby sick.

Three good things happened with that event.
1. I never smoked again, EVER, hated the smell, even weed, turned my stomach.
2. Because of fight with Mom, Dad got me a cool WWII Tommy Gun to make up for it.
3. Dad quit smoking himself and never lit another one as long as he lived.

Now I wasn't quite five and remember all of that very well.

So Scott, we both had smart Dads... Bless them!

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2019 at 5:34pm by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:06pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

I was 12 and remember watching it on TV
............Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.