Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

First long drive in my vette new configuration! (Read 60 times)
Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:19pm

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Friday after work we took my vette to Eastern Wa! Over Stevens Pass into the Wenatchee Valley and over to East Wenatchee.

Heavy stop-n-go traffic on Friday, very heavy rain, and over a mountain pass. Winding two lane roads, heavy police presences, and 3 hours of driving and we finally made it to my moms house! After stretching our legs Sharky got a nice wash! We left her at my moms house and took the pickup because we were staying in a hotel. Back the next morning at my moms house we met up with one of my brothers and his 68 Firebird and headed to the Wings and Wheels Car Show.

I had a prime parking spot and a like new 70 BB Maybe LS5 ?? convertible parked next to me! BEAUTIFUL car!  Cool

Bittersweet story, her and her husband owned the car and he was diagnosed with cancer. They sold the car. A few years later he wanted his car again and had limit time. They looked and looked with no success for it. Many owners later someone in Canada North of New York contacted them about . . . . yep. That car. They bought it back, he had it for one more year and passed. She now shows it in memory of him.
Wow.

OK, Sunday Sharky took 8.5 gallons of fuel. We headed back over the pass and into horrible traffic. again 3 hours later we made it home.

After at least 6 hours of drive, MUCH rain, some sunshine, and a couple of burnoffs, Sharky never went over 204 degrees, She drove great, great gas mileage, and still looks nice!

What a weekend!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 2:03am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Sounds like you had fun, minus the bad traffic.
Yep we've had a lot more rain than usual this year.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:50am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Sounds like a great weekend & an even better vette experience.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:50pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

seems to be the thing to do if you want to truly drive and enjoy your classic Corvette, put a modern drivetrain in with fuel injection and overdrive gear ratios to maximize mpg's. glad to hear Sharky performed flawlessly but then again, you've certainly built her to do nothing less!!
.............Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:58am

69Shark   Online
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

ve77er wrote on Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:50pm:
seems to be the thing to do if you want to truly drive and enjoy your classic Corvette, put a modern drivetrain in with fuel injection and overdrive gear ratios to maximize mpg's. glad to hear Sharky performed flawlessly but then again, you've certainly built her to do nothing less!!
.............Chris  Smiley

Yep!

Funny how things happen that make you change your ways!
When I bought my vette she had a 383 Stroker that was a BEAST. I live at sea level as did the previous owner. One day I took my vette over the mountain and went to pass someone! All that HP and she fell flat on me!Yes, I safely passed someone but boy what an eye opener! I know, high altitude, thin air, hot day, running rich, etc.

Last weekend it was the opposite. Again, I wanted to pass someone. You know, get the timing right, on coming traffic, car ahead of me, and I accelerate with anticipation of after the on coming car goes by, I'll be up to speed already, and can simply glide around the PU ahead of me. OMG! my vette was up to speed SO FAST I had to brake because I gained on the PU so quickly! What a difference!

I'm not a carb expert and am in no way discouraging carb owners. I am however a believer in my fuel injection!  Cool

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 10:19am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

You are correct in carbs being touchy & to get them right takes a little experience especially in a high hp engine.  I love the cool weather like we are getting now..they pull like freight trains. Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2019 at 10:19am by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 1:45pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

I'm sure it compares performance wise to your C-6 but with sooo much more style!! yes the newer ones are certainly nice and offer better ergonomics and creature comforts but to have the modern drivetrain in a classic chrome bumper 1969!!! I can't even begin to imagine the smiles per miles!!
............Chris  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.