Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

engine pull (Read 499 times)
Apr 23rd, 2020 at 2:33pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Long Valley, Tuckerton NJ

OK new to the site this is my second vette I had a 69 back in the 70's and loved it, bought this one about 26 years ago and drove it for a little while on occasion then life got in the way so it has been garage for about 24 years, last year changed the antifreez and turned the engine over a bit to get it to run thru. My son had the carb rebuilt and I was ready to get back into it when the engine does not turn over, I get about a 1/16 turn probally less both ways, I figure I must of seezed the camshaft, The pistons go up and down about a 1/4 inch and thats it( have one of the heads off, going to pull the engine and trans this weekend, think I have everything disconnected and pulling from the passenger side any helpful hints

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:04am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I doubt it is the cam, sounds more likely the rings rusted to the cylinder walls being it sat for so long. The Jersey shore salty air is your worst enemy. Anyway The nose being so long you almost have to pull from the side with a cherry  picker. The right side is the better option, jack it up and remove the wheel. Let us know how you make out...jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:41am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I pulled mine from an over head beam & it was tight. Good luck & keep us posted.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 1:29pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

I did pull the head and no rust and the pistons move up and down just stop when timing chain slack  is taken up but we will see when I take it apart but it has been at my home in Long Valley all this time, the engine has to come out anyway I look at it thought about overhead and I do have a chain hoist in the garage from the cieling but not in the best position. Boat going in the water tomorrow and engine coming out on Sunday hopefully

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 1:52pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Mission accomplished so far. Engine out, trans out, bell housing, clutch. Took your advised and pulled from the right side, wish I could say went real smooth but some cursing and swearing till I found a trans bolt I missed then it went great. Thanks for the advise. Definitely numbers matching M21, L46. I did pull the tank sticker and differential about 25 years ago, no surprises. Going to try and do everything right, fix the engine, detail it and engine compartment. I do have almost all the original heat shields and chrome. A good Father Son Project

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 7:59am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Take photos along the way and share here!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2020 at 2:56pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Took some pictures trying to figure out how to post them, but I am down to the bare block and it looks great the issue was the connecting rod pins were frozen, I made another post for a good machine shop as I would like to do what I can to make sure it is 100% when I put it back in

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 12:34pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Alright took more photos, have the engine being done . When I first dropped it off we spoke and agreed to not deck the block because of the engine numbers, now after everything is measured out he says one side is way out and probably only like 10.5 to 10 to one compression after we put it back together and 11 to one on e the other bank. HE says the correct thing to do is deck it and re stamp, he said he has a guy and it will be exact as the original. What did you guys do and what would you do he made an imprint of the stamping and said he would give me a letter authenticating the original numbers. Is this cheating in any way?? I do what to do this right

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:03pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Sure is, and it depends which way the broaching marks show up when resurfaced. GM surfaced the block one way, which I don't remember I think it was front to back. And the machine shops do it a different way because of machine access. If it is done wrong it is considered fraud. Now I know you know it's not but a judge will see it at first site. Just ask you machinist if the broaching marks will be in the same direction as they are now. Me at this point could care less. But you have to consider selling it down the road.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 3:18pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Thank You I almost made a bad mistake, I spoke to the machinist when I dropped it off that the numbers were important to me and at the time he agreed, then when he did all the measuring he said to make it really right he would have to deck it and he had a guy that would do the re-stamping right. I spoke to him again after your post and he admitted a judge would probably see it differently and I may go for a survivor at some point so we are not decking and the numbers will remain as is. The car had plenty of power back when I was in my forties, I think it will be fine for me now in my sixties especliy since we are boring it and he is going to work on the heads, a new cam and probably headers but I will still take care of the original exhaust manifolds. Thanks again

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2020 at 3:38pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Yeah the fun continues, I guess no point in complaining to you guys as I guess you have put more time and energy into your cars then mine. But the engine came back and I put a new clutch and pressure plate in had the flywheel done as was told I have never seen a flywheel in this good a condition you must only of had a few miles on the new clutch, so I guess the clutch was done correctly 26 years ago when I bought it. But back to the fun of cleaning the engine bay for the past couple of weeks and still no end in sight. I guess labor of love

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 11:01am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Keep the posts coming! Gives us something to read!!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 12:49pm

Tomw   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Still at it had the starter redone , no problems just in case and is as brand new, spent a lot of time in the engine bay cleaning 51 years of dirt crud grease. Very daunting task, but I know I am preaching to the choir here but I have had enough of the tooth brush in tight spaces and probably did not do as well as you guys but at least it is cleaned and protected with some paint now. I think I will be ready by the end of the week to get the engine back in. I will be glad to pulling wrenches instead of rags and simply green.

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.