Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Parking Brake Conversion (Read 7627 times)
Apr 2nd, 2009 at 5:06am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I've been toying with this idea for some time now & have finally decided to move forward.
We all know the parking break is a joke on theses cars & if you have a fairly powerful engine you can drive away with the break on & never even notice. In the sun with the top down & i don't even see the break lite.
So I decide to go design an automatic break  system. When the ingition is off the break is on & when you turn  the key it releases.  Another reason I decided to do this is the emergency break cable was way to close to my frt drive shaft ujoint after installing the TKO-600. If that cable got just a little sloopy ....well I don't want to even think about it.

I purchased a Linear Actutator  with a 2" throw which is on & off with each throw for $125.00 & it has a 200lb pull , so pulling the parking break cable is no problem.
Then I designed a simple circuit with 2 relays to operate the Actuator. I'll take more pictures as I do the install

THIS IS HOW TO HOOK UP THE RELAYS, I GET THESE FOR AROUND $1.00 EA.It can also be designed to operate with the engine on if necessary(with another switch), but I'm not interested it that. If my car is running & I'm not in it the wheels are choked...I don't trust the ER Breaks

This is the Linera Actuator & the 2 relays all wired

This is the interior without the parking break lever

I mountwed the actuator on a piece of 2" angle iron

Made it so it can move

This is a wire where the cable was closer than 1" to the ujoint

The assy mounted it's over 2" of clearance between the assy & the ujoint, in the pic it looks closer

Here's a side shot

Looks like I have to get stronger eye bolts..The actuator open this up like it was nothing, so it's plenty strong enough to alpply the parking break

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 5:15am by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:35am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

Alan you never cease to amaze me.  You motorheads are WAY beyond me.  That's the only bad thing about this forum as far as I am concerned.  I USED to think that I was fairly intelligent but now I know how REALLY dumb I am.   Undecided I am proud to say that I know people like you.  Now I DO know a thing or two about airplanes but that does not do me very much good on as daily basis.  Keep up the good work you all are an inspiration to those of us that have to have someone else do most of the work on our hot rods.   Roll Eyes

Later

Robert

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 10:44am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Whe ya start marketing them,I want one! Shocked

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:58am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

John you'd love it , I already took the parking break handle assy out ...much more room. After I get it installed be happy to build you one . The biggest cost is the actuator..everything else maybe $5.00

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 1:47pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I am watching this one for sure...........My thoughts were using a line loc.................jack

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:50am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Artsvettes wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 1:47pm:
I am watching this one for sure...........My thoughts were using a line loc.................jack

I was thinking of that but if one of the circuits failed or I lost power  I'd have a break lock down, this way I just have to adjust the cable. I don't think I'd want line lock on a driver.  Plus if I have to take it through inspection I will have a working hand break which they require in Delaware. It'll just be activated by a switch.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:16pm

yellowjacket   Online
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Alan... use that new camera and take all the detailed photos. I'll build you a website for that if you like.
You ought to consider marketing that for C3...

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 4:10pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"

yellowjacket wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:16pm:
Alan... use that new camera and take all the detailed photos. I'll build you a website for that if you like.
You ought to consider marketing that for C3...

Smiley Smiley Smiley

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 5:21am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I'm thinking about it !st have to see how it works...I posted some more pics of the progress. Just need some stronge adjustable bolts & might have to move the assy further forward.  Anyoneelse would have to drill a hole in there frame & or rig some kind of mounting location. I designed & built my cutout for the TKO-600 & added a 1/4" steel plate to the frame for added support...But that's another story. Now you can buy these  in premade kit forms, this was not the case when I installed my TKO almost 5 yrs ago.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 8:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Here's the final install & it works great. Just have to wire it up now. I'll also install a hold back spring to keep tension on the assy when the break is off. Also coated the assy to keep water & dirt from getting into the unit. I will install a toilet stainless steel tube over the wire & go into the battery compartment & connect from there. Used grade 8 bolts also.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 8:22am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

Alan.  YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 11:18am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Alan looking good. Just a thought ....Maybe use some Heim joint. Looks like it would bolt up to the actuator ok but you may have to get a little creative at the cable location.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ProductSummary.aspx?free_text|4/7/2009%204:32:37%2...

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 2:02pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"

Alright!  Wink    Smiley Smiley

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 5:43am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Here a link to utube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVTs9X1XeA
Also covered the wire with steel sheilding & will run it up above the transmission about where the radio is located to keep it away from the exhaust pipes.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:06am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Great job Alan. That actuator motor sounds really strong. Did you look and see if the quater panels buckled while pulling the cable? Just kidding....... Nice work.........jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.