Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

How To: Removal of Clock in 1977 Corvettes (Read 8211 times)
Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:36pm
Bart in Florida   Ex Member

This procedure is courtesy of Binnie! http://www.corvettec3.ca/index.htm

It is a fair amount of work to get the clock out. The center instrument cluster has to come out to get at it.
There is nothing really difficult, just time consuming. 

1.      The cluster bezel is secured with two screws at the top, one on each side and two on the bottom, which are only accessible by taking the sides off the console. The sides are secured with three Phillips screws.  The centers ones are a little hard to get at as the seats are in the way. If you push down on the seat cushion far enough you can get those center ones out. 

2.      Once you have the sides off, there are two 1/4" hex head screws going up into the bottom of the instrument bezel.   They are the only screws securing the top of the console to the cluster bezel.  You also need to drop the radio and push it back out of the way. 

3.      The radio has nuts under the two knobs and a hex head screw securing it on the passenger side. 

4.      Once you take out the other four Phillips screws, the cluster is ready to pull forward. 

You might want to put something on top of the console to protect it.

5.      Carefully pull the cluster back and at the same time clear the radio from the holes in the bezel. 

Also be careful to watch the top where the light socket for the heat controls goes in, as it will catch the top of the dash.

6.      There is a connector that you will need to pull apart for this light. 

7.      Once you get the cluster pulled ahead far enough, reach behind and pull the wiring harness out of the cluster. 

8.      The harness has clips on each end that when squeezed frees the plug from the socket. 

9.      Now you can pull the assembly out and you will see that the clock is held in with a couple 1/4" hex screws. 

10.      The set knob for the clock is held on with a slotted hollow screw that you need to take out as well. 

11.      Remove the nut that attaches the circuit board to the back of the clock. 

12.      You may want to remove some of the light sockets to give you room to lift the circuit board up to clear the clock when you pull it from the cluster. 

You may want to replace the instrument bulbs while you have the assembly out. 

Once you get the clock out pack it carefully to protect the hands during shipping to Binnie (a frequent visitor on this site).

Putting the clock back in is just the reverse procedure Smiley

Thank you, Binnie, for the guidance!
Bart & Audrey in Florida

Jan 17th, 2011 at 12:39pm
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2011 at 1:31pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:39pm

wnmech   Offline
YaBB Moderator
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Bart
Binnie pretty much very well described the best way to remove the clock.  It is really not that difficult. It should take you less than an hour to get the cluster out.  In my case I did not have to seperate the radio from the cluster I was able to unhook the connectors.  You may want to evaluate the condition of the printed circuit board that goes to all the instruments it gets old and very brittle.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 6:26am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Mark & Quote  Quote  Modify  Split  Remove Yeah, Binnie is a real clock expert. Knows just about everything else on a 77 too.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:16am
seventyate   Ex Member

I have started to copy and paste info that I may want to refer back to so I don't have to search the forum. This is one that I will put into that file.

Ed

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:36am
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
I have started to copy and paste info that I may want to refer back to so I don't have to search the forum. This is one that I will put into that file.

Ed

Good plan. Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:31pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I'm going to be changing the stereo in my 73 and plan on taking a stab at the clock since I'll have the panel off. Hopefully it's an easy fix but if not, I'll send it off and see if Binnie has better luck. And speaking of Binnie, I checked out the ramps and would love to have a set. Does anyone have a set and how much does it help? Having the lights and doors for your manuals and stuff would be cool too.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:42pm

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

This has been a good month for clocks....I have already serviced 4 and 2 more on the way Smiley

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:49am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Might make it 3 cause mine is missing the knob and the electronics I seem to fix only last a few months before they're broke again. If not, I may be 1st for April. I'll let you know.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 6:30am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Binnie wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:42pm:
This has been a good month for clocks....I have already serviced 4 and 2 more on the way Smiley

Wow! That's something Binnie... your getting quite the reputation!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:35am

Bobby Lopaka   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

How do you remove the set knob from the clock???

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2021 at 12:30pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

There's a small screw in the center of the knob. Use a jeweler's screwdriver unscrew it & the knob pulls off..
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.