Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

lip seal calipers (Read 2341 times)
Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:11pm

frank78   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Eastern Virginia

Providing pistons and bores ( after honing) are in good shape, then rebuilding the brake calipers , why not use them instead of spending $400 bucks or so which I could definitively use elsewhere (rear brgs. for example) ? I realize o-rings seal better but how long can rebuilt oem,s (1978) last? These calipers will sit (no use) for probably over a year while I finish frame off resto/mod. Any opinions? Im on a really tight budget. Thanks, Frank.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:33pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I honed and cleaned my originals real good and bought the re-seal kits for each one and they work just fine. The kits ran about $12 for each wheel. I'd go that route for sure Frank. Then later on when you get your other stuff complete and are ready for an upgrade, then you can go with an all stainless syetem. I know there's several guys on here that have rebuilt thiers using those kits and haven;t heard one complaint yet.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:10pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

If the car is just going to sit.Why bother now? Wait till your ready to drive it.....................jack

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 5:32am
blue 77   Ex Member

I would not do the brakes until car is ready to drive.  Then I would do the stainless with o-rings.  The extra cost is definitely worth it.  I fought the leaky brakes for years on mine, even though pistons and calipers "looked" good.  Was always have a brake leak or problem of some kind.  After changing to the stainless steel have never had a problem. At some point in the future you still might want to change to the stainless so way spend money to do it twice.

You said car is going to sit with no use for over a year so there is really no rush on the brakes.  After your frame off resto/mod you can rethink the brake problem.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 7:04am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I didn't read that part I guess. if you're just wanting to scratch one thing off the list, I'd think it would be fine sitting for a while with the new parts in there. just be sure and clean and bleed it all good so you dont't trap moisture in the system. Then bleed them again before your ready to drive. otherwise, I'd wait. it only took me an hour to remove the pistons, hone the cylinders, clean everything and put it all back together and paint it. just be sure and cap off the lines if you're gonna let it sit with the calipers off. Those rubber caps work great.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:11pm

frank78   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Eastern Virginia

Thanks for the input guys. I truly like this website !

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.