Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

New LED dash lights (Read 9548 times)
Jul 7th, 2013 at 8:53am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Since I had to take the dash off to upgrade the air conditioning I decided to replace the radio & install LED lights in the dash. LED's can not be dimmed with the dimmer switch so you can either build a circuit or order one like I did ..only cost $15.00 & it's also got a remote.
I got the bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led/6/ in RED for the dash & white for everything else. Also wired all the dash lights together & eliminated lots of wires. The new radio has an external CD player that I installed in the passenger rear area.

This is the dimmer unit

LED Bulb & wires tied together

I had some Boston Acoustic speakers  in inclosures laying around that I'll use Cool
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 12:20pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Looks cool Alan Cool............jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 6:22pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Looks good Alan, did you paint the metal backing to another color other than bluish-green?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 4:53am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I didn't paint anything.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 5:52am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Well I goofed & forgot that the bulbs that need dimming have to be in there own circuit, meaning they can't use the chassis ground. Since all the bulb sockets   use the chassis found they need to be isolated. I found some on the same site for .99 ea. Now they need to be insulated so I will use 3/8" gas hose cut to 1/2" & put a piece of 1/4 shrink tubing on the top to keep them in place. Then put a dab of silicon to keep them in place from moving. I'll take some pic's when I get the sockets in. I think I had a brain dead monent because I do understand electronics Lips Sealed at least I thought I did...
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 6:52am
TX 73 gone   Ex Member

that's different. lights up pretty good. what ever happened to those white face gauge stickers? you gonna put those on the 68?

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 7:31am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I still have the white face gauge kit, but I'm not sure if I want to use it. I only first intended to replace the heater core which started leaking last winter. Then I decide to upgrade the air/heater unit. After it was in I decided to up grade the radio & while I was waiting for the radio got the hair brain idea to switch over to LED's . I think I'll stop here or I'll never get done Cheesy  Luckly this car has just about everything already done.  I did install a ubolt on the underside of the frt frame so I can pull it up on the trailer real easy. The 68 has digital gauges in Blue...I replaced them about 10 yrs ago.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 8:12am
TX 73 gone   Ex Member

Gotcha and I hear ya loud and clear. every time I went to work on something I found something else I could do and it before you know it, it's a life long project. ya know, I sold the vette and thought I'd be able to relax and not worry about spending countless hours in the garage and now that I have began the bike rebuild, it seems I'm back in the same boat. taking things apart, cleaning, painting and ordering parts is just a way of life.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 6:14pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Alan, looks nice Wink
Charlie, I think it's a way of like Smiley don't think I'll ever grow out of that Grin
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:50am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I finished wiring the dash lights & will post pics tomorrow.
It sure gets rid of lots of wires Roll Eyes  I mounted the dimmer switch on the left kick panel in case I miss place the remote.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 6:12am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I think the dash lights make up most of the wires in the harness and it was still a dismal ride at night to  say the least..................jack

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 8:07am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Well I'm at the put it back together stage, but it's so damn humid I'm quitting for the day. The left dash is in & the center is ready. Here's some more pics
For those that have never seem the heater box & everything associated ..I forgot the compressor Lips Sealed

The engine compartment now ...much more space

This is the new heat & air box..much more compact & it really blows the air

The cent piece with the new air unit attached

I attached the dimmer control to the kick panel\

Now there's only 2 wires coming of the center piece & the left console for the dash lights.

I used this on each light socket to make sure they stay in place

This is the socket holder I rigged up. 3/8 gas hose cut to approx 1/2", shrink tubing cut to about 3/16"

Sure made putting the dash in place a lot easier  Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 9:46am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

That really cleaned up the wires for sure.The stock radio is worth some bucks. I know I paid dearly for it..................jack

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:38am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I'll put the radio on ebay .
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 11:13am
TX 73 gone   Ex Member

That's excellent. I'm all for the simple and easy way of upgrades rather than not doing it because I couldn't find an exact fit.  good stuff.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.